SWA training rumor?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for clearing that up.

I love the mentality of "if we had to be an FO, you have to be an FO." There's a big difference though, you volunteered for it, we didn't. One thing is for sure, there will be some (not many) that transition capt-capt.

Ummm, not trying to open up a wound or anything, but you did volunteer for it. Remember the difference between the first and second agreement. Enough on that because it is history!!

I will agree that it is currently a possibility for a capt-capt transition, but it will depend on how SWA plays the training game. If they don't care, then it will happen. If they don't like it, they will manipulate the vacancies to ensure that every AT pilot does some time in the right seat. Time will tell.

True. I just see SW mgt using it as a bargaining chip for your sec 6 that's has seemed to grind to a halt. Just a opinion. Time will tell.

Howard--- we're in complete agreement. I was responding to this:

Every tranny will be a SWA FO, just like every RSW pilot is/was...the plan is to still have ALL tranny's transitioned (to SWA FO) by thend of 2014...transitioned FAT FOs can bid SWA CP on 01/15....

And saying that all AT will be certainly NOT be transitioned to SWA FO by the end of 2014.

Formally informing the FAA, or anybody for that matter, means absolutely nothing to this MGT team.

So your saying Southwest management will operate them after Jan 1, 2015? Maybe under the secret, black helicopter, SW B717 operational manual they've been working on.

Whatever is left will be parked.

Well there were only 88 to begin with, so by my calculations even if the whole fleet were still around that would only be 176 flying on New Years Eve?

The less literal interpretation would mean roughly 20 airframes on property for there to still be "hundreds" of pilots flying them. I doubt SWA is willing to let that many folks sit idle when they PARK the remaining airframes not yet transitioned as they have stated to the FAA.

The original plan had 36 717's left in 2015. They are transitioning slower then planned. At 10 pilots per plane that would be 360 pilots sitting idle on 01/01/2015. Even if your 20 number is true that is still 200 pilots.

Operating 717's as SWA aircraft with, now, SWA crews in no way violates any contract or agreement. SWA has stated that they will not operate any 717's past Jan1, 2015. That statement is the only think they would violate. It would not stop them from changing their mind.

Operating 717's as SWA aircraft with, now, SWA crews in no way violates any contract or agreement. SWA has stated that they will not operate any 717's past Jan1, 2015. That statement is the only think they would violate. It would not stop them from changing their mind.

SWA already petitioned the FAA to shut down the 717 program in 1/15. The document was posted to this forum a while back.

I agree that operating 717's at SWA with pilots on the Southwest seniority list would not be a violation of the CBA. However, AirTran ceases to exist in 2015 and SWA does not and will not have a 717 program, therefore no way to operate them at SWA. SWA has told the FAA in writing that they will not develop a 717 program and any 717's that have not transitioned to Delta will be parked in 2015.

Latest resources

Back