• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA training rumor?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's no "transition issue" with upgrade language, its the SWAPA contract, not a transition contract nor SLI.

Every tranny will be a SWA FO, just like every RSW pilot is/was...the plan is to still have ALL tranny's transitioned (to SWA FO) by thend of 2014...transitioned FAT FOs can bid SWA CP on 01/15....

Every tranny will be a SWA FO, just like every RSW pilot is/was...the plan is to still have ALL tranny's transitioned (to SWA FO) by thend of 2014...transitioned FAT FOs can bid SWA CP on 01/15....

This is not a true statement. There will be hundreds of AT pilots flying 717s on New Year's Eve, 2014.

And on New Year's Day they will sit at home at their new SWA pay rates until they can get sequenced into the training center. Probably will have to bid for that training in seniority order. I would expect it would go in reverse order with the most senior Captains staying home (at guarantee) for a month or two or even longer. Enjoy the new year vacation gents.

As for the FAT pilots bidding for anything??there will not be a bid for the last couple of months of 2014. I would not expect any FAT pilot will be sitting in the left hand side until 2015 or later. Deferred deliveries and 88 aircraft short will give gk the flattish growth to 15% ROIC without having to do anything. The increased slots into LGA will provide a boost to the revenue without having to grow the airline. So long Jackson, Key West and Branson?.. hello big apple!

Last edited:
This is not a true statement. There will be hundreds of AT pilots flying 717s on New Year's Eve, 2014.
Well there were only 88 to begin with, so by my calculations even if the whole fleet were still around that would only be 176 flying on New Years Eve?

The less literal interpretation would mean roughly 20 airframes on property for there to still be "hundreds" of pilots flying them. I doubt SWA is willing to let that many folks sit idle when they PARK the remaining airframes not yet transitioned as they have stated to the FAA.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I love the mentality of "if we had to be an FO, you have to be an FO." There's a big difference though, you volunteered for it, we didn't. One thing is for sure, there will be some (not many) that transition capt-capt.

I think its time to find out what really is going to happen in DEC 2014. Airtran to SW bid that just closed had 1 class less than project. That leaves 1060 Guys still to be trained in 10 months, so 106 a month have to go to meet that ( will not happen) . The projection for March and April classes is only 120 guys trained, leaving 940 to be trained in 8 months at 117 per month. No way its going to happen.Throw in New hires and this training plan becomes more of a pipe dream by the minute. There will probably be a projection come out soon for May and beyond that will be the nail in the coffin for whether guys will be sent home or flying 717's in 2015 ( If SWAPA allows it) i.e. sec 6 hard bargaining . There will be no more "MGT says they can train everybody by DEC 2014".

Well there were only 88 to begin with, so by my calculations even if the whole fleet were still around that would only be 176 flying on New Years Eve?

The less literal interpretation would mean roughly 20 airframes on property for there to still be "hundreds" of pilots flying them. I doubt SWA is willing to let that many folks sit idle when they PARK the remaining airframes not yet transitioned as they have stated to the FAA.

There will be 20-something 717s in the system when we ring in 2015. Those airplanes will be staffed with, yes, hundreds of pilots to fly them in the weeks leading up to that. Not sure your point???????

Or are you saying we'll park them early than that? Why would they do that?

And BTW, as long as your being literal, would it not take 352 pilots to fly 88 717s on New Year's Eve? Or would you have one crew fly the airplane ALL DAY? :D

Last edited:
There will be 20-something 717s in the system when we ring in 2015. Those airplanes will be staffed with, yes, hundreds of pilots to fly them in the weeks leading up to that. Not sure your point???????

Or are you saying we'll park them early than that? Why would they do that?

And BTW, as long as your being literal, would it not take 352 pilots to fly 88 717s on New Year's Eve? Or would you have one crew fly the airplane ALL DAY? :D
Any 717's left after 12/31/2014 will have to be parked and cannot continue in revenue service, operating them after that date is a direct scope violation. SWA has formally informed the FAA that any airframes remaining after that date will be parked.

Formally informing the FAA, or anybody for that matter, means absolutely nothing to this MGT team.

Latest resources

Back