Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

I've got a few questions for SWA pilots:

What is the average number of legs flown/day on a typical workday?

How many days-off per month can you get?

What are the trips like and how long are the layovers?

Is it really like a large regional airline where you just get paid more, or are the schedules "nice" and pleasant to fly.

I know that there is no company funded retirement. What do you guys think about that and what is the outlook on maybe getting it someday? Yes, I know that a lot of the Captain's who maxed out their 401K in the 80s and 90s are very rich, but how does it look now?

And lastly, is it tough to commute at SWA? I was wondering about that since most of the flights are usually full.

What is the average number of legs flown/day on a typical workday?

Sometimes 1, sometimes 6 (I did 3 a day last week)

How many days-off per month can you get?

Senior lines have 19 days off, most are 15 days off

What are the trips like and how long are the layovers?

Short, medium and long. We are doing a lot of long-haul flying now. MDW-SEA, PHX-PVD etc.. Then short stuff too... MCI-MDW, MDW-DTW etc.. you got the best of both Worlds.

Layover can be from 12 hours - 20 hours in some places.
I'd say most are 14 - 15 hours.

Is it really like a large regional airline where you just get paid more, or are the schedules "nice" and pleasant to fly?

Schedules are nice and pleasant. Our duty day is fairly short. Last week for instance, I flew a three day trip, 8 legs total my duty day was (Day 1) 8:55 with 6:25 flying, (day2) 8:05 with 6:05 flying and (day 3) 5:10 with 3:45 flying.

I know that there is no company funded retirement. What do you guys think about that and what is the outlook on maybe getting it someday? Yes, I know that a lot of the Captain's who maxed out their 401K in the 80s and 90s are very rich, but how does it look now?

Just flew with a Captain that has been here 16 years, His stock options alone are worth 1,050,000. That does not include: profit sharing, 401K and Employee Stock purchase plan.

And lastly, is it tough to commute at SWA? I was wondering about that since most of the flights are usually full.

Depending on where you live? My commute is easy :50 minute flight with 10 daily departures to MDW. Contract has protections in it for commuters. As a Pilot you can sit up front in one of two jump seats and/or the fourth FA seat in back.

Great company with wonderful people, sometimes its hard to see/believe things when you are on the outside looking. No other Company like it!

4-5 years.

If you fly out of the OAK domicile, how possible is it to fly trips that are exclusively N-S West Coast legs?

Latest resources

Back