• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Removes B737 Type Requirment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So those of you in la la land can forgo getting your degree but good luck with that.

I'm calling bullsh!t. Which major airlines have recently switched to making college preferred?

None. He's talking out of his ass again.
Only know what I read in the funny papers

Quote Originally Posted by Staticwick View Post
Yesterday, a co-worker with ties to FedEx, told me they just dropped their turbine requirements to 500 hrs and college is about to be optional. American Airlines, no company physical-A buddy got interviewed at American- he figures when he is my age he can retire (young and able to play with my retirement money instead of working till I am unable to enjoy it). United internal recs/college desired but not required. Watch the big one, Delta...they are gonna feel the pinch too once they get their diet going of age 65's.

So in other words, nothing has changed and you're full of sh!t. Thought so.

Only know what I read in the funny papers

Quote Originally Posted by Staticwick View Post
Yesterday, a co-worker with ties to FedEx, told me they just dropped their turbine requirements to 500 hrs and college is about to be optional. American Airlines, no company physical-A buddy got interviewed at American- he figures when he is my age he can retire (young and able to play with my retirement money instead of working till I am unable to enjoy it). United internal recs/college desired but not required. Watch the big one, Delta...they are gonna feel the pinch too once they get their diet going of age 65's.

I know a former World 747 Captain with types in everything from 737 to MD-11, LCA, all the big boxes filled... his phone hasn't made a peep since World folded. He has no degree. It's not happening.

So in other words, nothing has changed and you're full of sh!t. Thought so.
From UAL Job site

Certification requirements:

• Unrestricted FAA Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate with airplane multiengine class rating
  • Current FAA first-class medical certificate
  • FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RR)
Flight time requirement:

• Minimum of 1,000 hours of fixed-wing turbine time
General requirements:

• Current, valid passport
  • Legal right to work in the United States
  • High school diploma or GED equivalent
  • Bachelor?s degree from accredited college or university is preferred
  • Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
We appreciate your interest and we encourage you to frequently check back with us for updates on our hiring needs

From AAL job site

Qualifications
Here is what it takes to be a successful pilot at American:

? Excellent communication skills and quick and accurate decision making

? Close attention to detail

? Minimum age of 23

? Ability to work varying hours of the day or night, on weekends and holidays

? Must be able to secure appropriate airport authority and/or Customs security badges

? Fulfillment of FAA criminal background checks

? Ability to learn and work with PEDs

? Distance vision corrected to 20/20 and near vision corrected to 20/40 or better in each eye

? Current Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) rating (multi-engine) or a valid ATP written test

? Valid FCC Restricted Radio Telephone Operator permit

? Valid First Class Medical Certificate

? Flight time in accordance with all FAA requirements

? Must be able to fluently speak and understand English

? Must have the right to work in the United States

? Additionally, we require all of our pilots to have a valid passport and documentation allowing for entry into
the United States after an international flight.

Don't see anything about college here

Last edited:
That's not a change, yip. It's always said that. And it's always been next to impossible to get hired there without it. "Preferred" really means "you'd damned well better have it."

I know a former World 747 Captain with types in everything from 737 to MD-11, LCA, all the big boxes filled... his phone hasn't made a peep since World folded. He has no degree. It's not happening.

There are many jobs abroad for 747 skippers..., a few with bases in the US even.
Air China, Korean, NCA to name a couple, all have either pilot bases or reverse rosters from the US.

There are many jobs abroad for 747 skippers..., a few with bases in the US even.
Air China, Korean, NCA to name a couple, all have either pilot bases or reverse rosters from the US.

DP,

Would age or being well out of currency be an obstacle for someone in this guy's position ?

He interviewed with Korean. Came home and said "not a chance in hell I'm working there."

Someone at Higher Power just started crying uncontrollably.

a big "Eff you" to higher power.

It's like those that run the sham business airline pilot apps site- profiting off unscrupulous practices in this industry is a horrible way to make a living.

Latest resources

Back