• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Removes B737 Type Requirment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did the email announcing this offer any explanation for the change in a policy dating back about 40 years ?

Yes, it said several things, including the current hiring environment, the changes with AQP, and other things.

Yes, it said several things, including the current hiring environment...and other things.

What did they say about the "current hiring environment" ?:

The number of applicants accepting interviews has dropped ?

The number of those accepting a job and showing up for class has dropped ?

People on the bottom are leaving in disturbing numbers ?

What are "other things" ?

Without seeing the email first hand, we interested observers can only ask questions.

It seems that changing a 40 year, hard-and-fast employment requirement is a significant event. There must be a story there...

Just curious. I'm not looking for a job. :D

I'm sure the company doesn't want its internal memos posted publicly, but the general idea of it was that it isn't as easy to attract the most qualified applicants in today's environment, and otherwise qualified people are being passed over because they either don't have the type or are unwilling to even apply with the knowledge that they'll have to get it before accepting a job offer. In addition to that, they mentioned the AQP program changing the training curriculum, and that the insurance company apparently wasn't providing as much benefit anymore as a result of the requirement.

Without seeing the email first hand, we interested observers can only ask questions.

It seems that changing a 40 year, hard-and-fast employment requirement is a significant event. There must be a story there...

Hate to disappoint you, but there's really much of a story.

This has actually been coming for quite a while. The Ops email mentioned several things, such as the loss of advantages from that particular requirement. Those had been things like reduced insurance rates for a small new company, easier training syllabus, ensuring applicants really wanted to be here, etc. None of those really apply anymore. The other aspect was with current and projected hiring at all airlines coupled with a shrinking applicant pool, Southwest was concerned that we would be losing out on potential applicants who were otherwise highly qualified.

As far as your suggestions go, I don't think they really played any part. The last hiring pool still had the requirement, and we had many more applicants than slots, plus the number of people who left in the last year was minimal.

Like I said, we've all been expecting this for the last several years. In reality, we've basically been waiting for our old, intransigent VP of FltOps to leave and be replaced by a more reasonable guy, which happened fairly recently.

Bubba

Lots of changes over last few years. More changes to come. SWA goes international now, dropped the type, is changing to dual cue flight director. And! and! We are looking at getting a new lightweight jacket! There that's damn near the whole message. Can't copy and paste. The company is strict about releasing internal memos.

Hate to disappoint you, but there's really much of a story.

Bubba,

Not disappointed at all. I'm just curious. I've followed the history of SWA since mid-1971...and I'm STILL following it.

Sometimes I ask questions since I no longer have contact with anyone on the inside.

The whole issue of pilot supply & demand is one of my favorite subjects. Been watching it (or trying to ) since the mid-60s.

Some people follow curling; I follow pilot stuff. :D

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Lots of changes over last few years. More changes to come. SWA goes international now, dropped the type, is changing to dual cue flight director. And! and! We are looking at getting a new lightweight jacket! There that's damn near the whole message. Can't copy and paste. The company is strict about releasing internal memos.

What kind of lightweight jacket ?

It would be cool if you guys got Members Only jackets. :)

Latest resources

Back