• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Pilot Suspended

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are right. I was suprised that it was a SWA pilot. I am truly impressed with their operations and pilots. They are darn good people.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that so many other pilots feel the way I do about this. It's really crazy that at my domicile, I go through this. I don't have to go through screening at the checkpoint, since (thank the lord) my airport ID lets me though a side door. HOWEVER, if I jumpseat after work, I will be searched and my bag searched by the gate staff. This is ASININE since I can just swipe my card and WALK out onto the ramp. It make NO sense. As for going through the screening checkpoints at outstations, some stations let us through the back door, others don't. That is stupid too. Why can't we be issued a NATIONAL ID for all flight crews so we don't have to put up with this. It would be SOOOO easy to do. We all go through the ten year backround check...we are probably a lower risk than the people who are searching us. At my home, (an outstation) they sometimes search me even though they KNOW me, but they just pretend to make the passengers THINK things are better. It is crazy. Things have to change NOW.

"You are right. I was suprised that it was a SWA pilot. I am truly impressed with their operations and pilots. They are darn good people."

The same thing may have happened to the same SWA pilot 200 times. You never know. SWA is great. I have never met a SWA pilot that talked poorly about their company and they are good folk (though I'm sure there are a few not happy).
Regardless, every person has a breaking point. I am sure we all have stood at security getting the "rub down", thinking "man, this is friggin ridiculous, but I have to play this game". Then you throw in a slow bag search, taking shoes off, numerous legs that day in bad wx, etc., - anybody can get redfaced mad about it.
WE NEED NATIONAL ID's!
However, the airlines would likely have to pay for it and, therefore, I doubt it will happen unless the FAA forces the issue.
Pretty ridiculous how our pilots' licenses look like 1950's drivers licenses ay?

I was able to get an insight to the screeners perspective while getting my daily grope at security the other day (it must have been the zipper in my pants). The screener asked me if "you pilots" (as if I could answer for all of us) feel safer due to the increased security. When I told him no, he was absolutely amazed. He started to explain how they were being so much more aggressive about screening and how I would not believe the things they took from people. When I told him that there was no possible way to confiscate all the things people could use as improvised weapons and that I thought a better answer was improved cockpit security. Before I left for the gate he told me that if I had been through the training he had, I might see things differently. At that point I left for the gate, but it was a interesting look at the people who are supposed to be looking out for the security at the terminal. Fly safe.

Hey Simonsays;

Please explain to me your constitutional rights concerning security checks and searches at airports. I don't think that not allowing your wallet in arms reach violates them. Why don't you put your bills in your pocket if you are so concerned about them?

Jetexas (and others this may apply to),
due to being furloughed I may be out of the loop. But since when did we have to go through securities so many times a day? I would pass through security once at the start of my day in ORD and then after that I had no need to leave a secure area (including outstations). Are you going to a mom and pop sandwich shop off the airport during your turns or something?
Puzzled in Wisconsin

Maybe one day there will be this realization that because there are so many dedicated professionals willing to put their lives on the line daily to fly those airplanes, these screeners have jobs.
This also includes the FAA. Does the FAA have a job because they are down here or is it because we are all up there? What would happen to all these government workers should the pool of pilots decided to take a few weeks off to get their "mental attitude" right. I believe in security, but all of us are being pushed to the brink with this so called "high state of alert". Just another way to sell newspapers and create jobs for those people who cannot find one. The scare tactics and high handed attitudes in the name of "security" need to be changed. Just my two cents worth....

Hey Simon

Simon,

You mean to tell me that you delayed all your passengers 36 minutes because you can't figure out how to get through security? Did you ever think of just leaving your wallet in your pocket and holding it while they wanded you? Or how about taking the cash out of your wallet and putting it in your pocket? Paper money doesn't beep. You must have looked like a fool. All of you people on here that are bitching about the security need to realize that complaining to the screeners or guardsmen will do nothing except make you look like a fool. They don't make the rules and bitching at them will not change anything.

The sad fact of this situation is there is no standardization at these security checkpoints.I go through BWI security at least twice a week.It is an area void of structure and competence. I waited(I timed it)4 minutes standing at the x-ray machine in my socks,while the one security professional scolded another at the next machine for having the audacity to listen to "Puff Daddy" because "he weren't no real rapper". When I asked what the holdup was,she just told me "I'm going as fast as I can". I see this type of bull$*!# at a majority of screening areas I pass through. It creates a cumulatively negative effect after awhile. I do however also see excellent screening places with motivated curteous personnel,but they are the minority. Federalization is nothing more than another government jobs program,which will do nothing to improve overall security. Most of the individuals who are working screening machines now will simply be rehired,regardless of the new guidelines(most of which have all been removed). If we're REALLY serious about passenger screening,we'd better throw political correctness out the door,and adopt a program such as EL AL's and hire COMPETENT individuals to do these jobs,and for $35,000 there's no reason why we can't.

OK....OK.....that came out wrong. First of all you cannot be searched unless there is probable cause or you consent. Going through security is an implied consent of search. Since it is a consentual search you may stop the search at any time.

I still put my wallet along with all of my other stuff through security (mabey I should hold onto my wallet). My point being was that I did not want my wallet to walk away, and they refused to put it by me so I can keep an eye on it. This was not an unresonable request by any means. I believe they did not honor my request because they felt that I was questioning their authority. And to be honest with you all I will question their authority and their procedures. They are not the all-master of security. I will be GD if they tell me that I cannot be able to keep an eye on my wallet or that no one will take responsability for it when I am getting wanded.

Absolutely I delayed the passengers because I could not get through security in a timely manner. By the way I did tell them that I had a problem getting through security and that is why I delayed the flight. All of you people that are walking on egg shells going through security need to step up to the plate and say something if the security people are doing something wrong. Just do not interfere with their duties or you will be arrested.

I did not look like a fool because no one except the security personell and police officer knew what my problem was. I was talking in a low voice, and not making a scene. I simply dismissed myself from the screening process. (As what ALPA reccomends) I also know that there is a fine line between questioning people at the security check point and "interfeering with there duties" which is now a federal offense.

I know bitching at the security people wont change anything, but delaying flights due to a "non-standerized" system of security screening will.

Any takers on that????????????Like I said before "bring it on"

Latest resources

Back