SWA Hiring Forcast

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RWS

Does anyone have current numbers for how many pilots SWA plans to hire in 2002? Have they defered some of their deliveries during this economic slump?
I was considering a 737 type rating course, but I'd like to get the lastest hiring numbers before making the investment.

Thanks

Latest "official" number is 200.

However, there are some pretty credible sources who have seen class lists showing at least 2 classes per month through August. Even at only 20 per class (and class size is supposedly increasing to as much as 26), that's over 300...

hiring info

RWS,

First of all, no one knows for sure what the final numbers will be. However, here are the pieces of the puzzle that appear to be out there.

1. Training department. Currently around 50 instructors, hiring up to 80-90 number.

2. Jets from the desert being added (last count an additional 4 from earlier projections).

3. Training been told to increase class size to 24-26 vs 20 per class.

4. Classes added for Jan & Feb '02, class size increased for subsequent classes.

5. 2 more sims being added later this year (these were already planned for increased growth projections prior to 911).

None of the folks in the people dept will forcast much past 1-2 months for obvious reasons. Southwest has always low balled projections for hiring but has always exceeded them. Not a bad track record.

However, lots of folks competing for jobs out there. Competition will be tougher possibly. But without a type it will be a long time before interview calls. However, they will be called eventually. SWA is going to be hiring for years to come in my opinion. Just a matter of how confident you feel about being hired, current situation, risk/reward mentality. All of the above is just my opinion. Good luck,

chase

Actually, the latest "official" forecast is 420. My guess it will still be higher than that. 420 is assuming they stop hiring in August for the year. Any classes from Sep - Dec will add to the number.

Latest resources

Back