SWA guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TurboS7

This question is for any SWA guys that happen to hit this site. B737-800/700 this happens to us in the islands all the times. I have seen you do it at Reno, I just would like to know your sop in a given situation. Speeds, flaps, and whatever-sideslip doesn't count-to arrive stabilized spooled at 500 feet AGL. Starting point is 12,000 feet cleared for the visual on a wide downwind and you can't get farther from the airport than 10 nm.Airport elevation sea level. Thanks ahead of time.

Assuming "wide downwind" equals five miles.....figure 1000 ft of descent per mile if idle, gear down, flaps 40. If you want to stay as tight to the field as possible, dirty all the way up at 12,000 ft. while abeam the field and start down at idle and approach target speed. When you see 7 DME from the field on downwind heading, start your base turn. As you roll out on base, if you're tight, square the final turn, if not, turn toward the field early. If you do this, you get three five mile legs to lose 12K ft, which at flaps 40 is easy and gives you plenty of time to spool by 500ft. The finesse part comes in dealing with the changing winds in the descent and detecting early if you're getting high. If you make it by a mile at F40, use 30 next time. Have fun.

Also, idle power in the NG is considered spooled, but no one lands that way.

The EEC automatically commands ground, flight and approach idle.

At F40, one thousand feet for each mile. F30 use the same and then add three miles. Stay on cursor speed.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I did and my first officer sent a complaint to the fleet manager and chief pilot saying it was none standard ops. I did a complete briefing explaining exactly what I was planning to do, he is an ex-Navy guy too, oh well.

TurboS7 said:
That is exactly what I did and my first officer sent a complaint to the fleet manager and chief pilot saying it was none standard ops. I did a complete briefing explaining exactly what I was planning to do, he is an ex-Navy guy too, oh well.

If any F/O of mine wrote me up for ops in compliance with SOP, I would meet him out in the employee parking lot with a select group of other four - stripe professionals for a blanket party.

This just happened, so the blanket party may yet be to come-we'll wait till after the holidays...

Latest resources

Back