Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoopDog

SWA Pool Dog Paddler
Got the LUV ya call on monday from JM. Whoa Nelly! That was a load off my mind!

Getting ready to jump in the pool here, but it looks pretty crowded and a little murky. What's going on here guys? I have a couple of questions for those of you who have been dog-paddling for a while now.

My buddy there says the next step is a call from one of the CP's with the "formal" job offer and a class date. At least that was his experience 4 years ago. Does anyone know if this is still the protocol?

Do they also send a "job offer" letter to you?

And finally, for those who have been here a while (say several months or so) how often do you touch base with the People dept to catch up on your status?

I've been looking at this message board for about a month now and I haven't really seen much discussion about the above issues, so I'd like to hear what you future senior fellow class-mates have experienced so far after "THE CALL".

Thanks in advance,

CoopDog

Protocall

1. J.M. doesn't call unless you've initiated it and left a message or she's calling about your class date.

2. When she does call she tells you when your class date is and can you except that date. Then the following week a chief pilot nearest your town calls to offer you a job with Southwest...of course you except.

3. Then they send you a pre-employment package that you fill out and bring with you to training.

4. You then drain your bank account of all it's cash and head for training.

This is for the most part how I've heard it's been handled. Any variations on the above from others would be nice to know.

RJones (jetpltrich)

Coopdog,

Congrats! If you haven't already you will be called by the PD to do a drug test. Following that, sometime within the next few weeks a phone call from a CP to informally congratulate you & answer any questions. HE WON'T OFFER YOU A HARD CLASS DATE AT THAT TIME. He will give you a "rough" idea, very rough idea, of when you could expect to come to SWA..."2-3 months, summer timeframe, early fall, etc." type answer. Again, things are changing as always & he won't commit SWA to a definite date for when you'll start training.

Remember, even while this is going on further background info may still be coming in, incidental things but things nonetheless that may cause the company to rescend their "unofficial" job offer. Very rare, but possible. I say this only to remind you & others to continue to keep your stellar driving/flying record intact.

Checking in with the PD isn't mandatory, they sometimes even call you. Since the list that Mike started on here appears to be a pretty good gouge on when some of you will be going I would continue to monitor this board, call the PD every 2-3 months & get those chores done around the house while you can. Continually calling the PD every couple of weeks won't move things much.

A firm, written contract won't arrive at your house until a phone call from the PD saying a contract is on the way. This usually precedes the class date by just a couple of weeks. You'll probably be notified about a month in advance of a possible class date which can & often times is moved up to the next earlier one. Hope that helps.

call from CP?

Hummm...I never got a call from a CP congratulating me after I'd successfully completed the app/interview process, just J.M. with the LUV call. I do have the letter that says I'm in. I was accepted shortly after 9/11 and maybe they where really busy?

RJ

Same as RJ ...

They probably just changed their procedure, no CP call until the class date comes down.

No call from CP

I only received a call from JM saying congrats after my interview and P quiz in Oct. I was never called by a CP. They must not luv me as much as you guys. Sniff sniff! Maybe I only think I am supposed to be in the pool. I hope they tell me before I drown.
Boots

No worrys!

Guys,
Don't worry about the CP call after the sucessful interview process. After you get the 2nd letter from JM after you have obtained your type (if didn't already have one) you have "sucessfully completed the application and interview phases with Southwest Airlines" and now your name "appears on the list of candidates to be considered for future Southwest Airlines Pilot Classes."
Of course it says pending the final background, etc.
Congrats
T1apilot

Real Deal?

Hey Guys..just got a call from JM.
I was one of the lucky to get a call on the18th of March. She had said I was good to go except the national driving record. She told me today that the form was here and I was officially done with the process. She said the next step would be the call from the CP (when it was my turn to recieve a class date). She also said it could be 4 to 6 months untill the call...so hang in there and it will all be good. I hope this helps anyone.

Feeling good and will wait as long as it takes....Keep the faith!

Moose :D

CP Call

My apologies to those in the pool waiting for the call from the CP.

Correction. I stated a call from a CP would occur shortly after the call from the PD. In my case the time from notification to class wasn't as long as it is now. One of the poster said it right, the CP won't call until just prior to getting a firm offer on a class date. That obviously now is longer than in my case. Don't feel neglected if you haven't heard from a CP if you know you're in the pool but with no class date. Whether the CP calls or not, if the contract is in the mail, that means you have a date!! Sign it ASAP & return. Obvious statement. Sorry for the confusion.

Contract?

I start in 6 days and have gotten no "contract" to sign. I received a package with a lot of paperwork to fill out and a letter from Greg Crum (Vice President Flight Operations) welcoming me to Southwest. It did say "I will need you to confirm your acceptance of our employment offer in writing". It also asked for a copy of the resignation letter sent to your present employer resigning your seniority number. I sent both to him the next day, but again, not sure about a "contract." Maybe they changed that procedure too. Guess I'll find out in 6 days..... Any recent SW hewhires out there want to chime in. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back