Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Chunk

SkyFuzz
If anyone has any advice on Sun&Fun, I'd love to hear it. I'm trying to decide which day to go, to find schedules, and obtain advice on flying in.

Links are most welcome....

Thanx in advance.

Chunk

rule no. 1, don't f#ck up landing! Know the arrival procedures before you get there.

bring tie-downs for your plane

they used to sell basic groceries and suppies, to give you some idea of what you need to bring

2 full days is plenty

they've changed the schedule since I was there last, I believe. In past years, I'd have recommended the first half of the time for a good visit. may be different now. see below.

more details - www.sun-n-fun.org

Last edited:
Plenty of sunblock, it can bake out there. You need 2 days at least, cause the place is huge, it will take at least 2 days to see everything.

And...forget bout hotels in lakeland (all booked by now), check out closeby winter haven and plant city, you might find em there. That is, unless you're campin out...

have fun!

Going to Sun 'n Fun for the first time myself. Flying SW out of BNA Monday morning.

Say, one of you SW guys wouldn't let me jumpseat in the cockpit with you, would you? I've already got a ticket! I promise to be real, real good and hardly say a word. Maybe you'd let me fly the plane just a little tiny, itsy bit?

Oh, pleeeze, pleeezeee, pretty PLEEEEEZEEE!! I'll buy the coffee and 2 (thats TWO) doughnuts, each!!

I'll be waiting. :D :D

I went to it for the first time last year. It was towards the end of the event so I missed the majority of the WWII planes. Took my daughter who was a good trooper but bored out of her mind. Like most pilots, I'd rather be flyin'em than lookin' at 'em though.
This year I'm going earlier with a fellow pilot who has been to several so that should make it more interesting.
Of course there is Lakeland but there are several airports close by: Plant City (PCM), Bartow (BOW), or Winter Haven Gilbert (GIF).
Plant City is the closet but is also the smallest.
"See you there".

When to be there:

Since it's on the Oshkosh schedule, anytime Wed-Sun (not many will stay after that).

Flying in: Know the arival procedures, and don't screw up the landing, or else you will be on the 6:00pm news.

You want this guide which is data that used to be published by Jeppesen and FSDO.

http://www1.faa.gov/NTAP/NTAP03FEB20/AS03003.HTM

This is the data sheet about arrivals and patterns into SnF.

If you go to Jeppesen online and look for special events stuff they will tie you into a great number of links for arrivals to Daytona, Kentucky Derby, Indy 500, Oshkosh,etc. (free)

We used to get neat bulletins from Jepp but they've stopped sending the stuff out.

This year they did change the schedule around, I dont like it myself.

It start on a Wed. this year instead of Sat. so the majority of the people will probobly be there towards Fri, Sat, Sun.

Whats more, they started a little early also, daylight savings isnt till Sun the 6th. People with no electrical systems just lost an hour of flying that they have enjoyed for the last several years, i havnt figured that one out yet.

I go every year, and try to fly in for the most part. If you do fly in and camp, my suggestion is to camp out in the "general aviation parking", not the "general aviation camping". The designated camping area is very sandy and dirty, by the second or third day, you got dirt all over the tent and your camping gear. If you camp out at the parking area, its clean and grassy, generally the GA parking is over at the VOR, if you can make it over to that area, you will really have a good spot to camp, and watch the airshow, no crowds, just delightful airplane noise. Make sure you put the GA parking sign in your windshield, not the camping sign if you want to camp at the parking area.

ANd like crash proof said, bring the SPF 10,000, after the first year you learn quickly.

I'll see ya there, have fun.

I lived in Lakeland for several years and it's definitely a blast. Traditionally, the first weekend was the best time to go, but with the schedule change this year I'd assume the same but you never know. Nighttime show is always the coolest one and if you have time head up to the seaplane show.

If you get away from the airport, Molly's pub downtown was my favorite. Hurricane's is right across the street for the younger/louder crowd. Plenty of good food around town, PM me if you need some tips.

I'll be there the first few days no real plans but to bum around. Going to nonrev/JS down to either TPA or MCO rent a car and drive. I'd rather fly my own plane in, but Mr. Seagull had other plans for my airplane buying cash. See you guys there, I'll buy the first round.

Latest resources

Back