• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Suburban Air Freight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Talked to Ameriflight guys, sounds like a good company that really does treat their people well. First hand experience with Kalitta Charters, nothing but good things to say. All jet time too!

Art,

If the plane has a tks system, you pretty much have to get out of the ice don't you? If it has boots, I can't use up all of the boots like I can if the plane has an alcohol system. Doesn't leave as many options. Perhaps "weird" is bad syntax.

Voss

vossdr1 said:
Art,

If the plane has a tks system, you pretty much have to get out of the ice don't you? If it has boots, I can't use up all of the boots like I can if the plane has an alcohol system. Doesn't leave as many options. Perhaps "weird" is bad syntax.

Voss

I've never been in a plane that weighed in under 12.5 where the boots were ever worth a sh!t, boots always required an altitude change in moderate icing which is good practice in any plane regardless, unless you have a heated wing ,why sit in the ice watching your options shrink at the same rate as your airspeed?

In any event the glycol TKS system installed in the AC-500's is certified for some of the nastiest stuff out there, stuff that would make your old boots quiver in horror, as a little extra gem of information, the AC-500 has enough TKS capacity that you are going to run out of gas about the same time you run out of fluid, although the Boss won't be too pleased, the stuff cost about $ 16 a gallon.

Central Air Southwest has a PFT option ONLY if you don't meet 135 mins:1200 total and 100 multi, If you meet the mins you're on the payroll, expect to sign a 6 month agreement, not too much to ask.
Probation is 6 months, pay isn't spectacular, but all the aircraft: about 35 Aerocommanders, have standardized cockpits and the maintenance is excellent, the company have been around a while.

The first 6 months won't pay you enough to buy a new car but once off probation expect to earn equal to or slightly better than first year First Officer Regional pay.

Those AC50B's equipped with the TKS system are pretty amazing. Remember seeing them all over when I was working in the Midwest. Most pilots were pretty happy there. That was a few years ago however.

First 135 job

I worked at Central Air. The TKS system is good but if it fails when you need it, and sooner or later it will, your S.O.L. It has two pumps as I recall. Both need to be operational but not according to the boss/owner. Get my meaning? Central would be my last choice. Actually they wouldnt even be on my list. Pay is downright offensive, maintenance was poor. Baron Aviation in Rolla, Mo was supposed to be pretty good too from what an old friend of mine claimed, at least he was happy with it. Best of wishes to your nephew. Remember that there are a lot of crummy operators out there and to hold out for a good one. It could be the most important decision one makes.

The pay IS offensive, WHILE on probation......which coincides with the 6 month agreement I spoke about earlier, this would tend to suggest that Cubman was one of the guys who broke that agreement, maintenance for a 135 operator at Central is above the standard, it aint an airline job folks, it's 135.. F R 8 ! You want to make your time and move on then Central is for you, got a bunch of time ? Then they aint.
Nobody suggested it's a place to retire from folks but as 135 operators go, they are pretty tough to beat for low time guys looking to get what they need and shuffle on, you want to talk about OFFENSIVE pay ? How about a 4 to 7 year upgrade at a regional paying in the twenties....gimme a break.

Whoa there TIGV. Nothing I said would suggest that I broke the training agreement at Central. You did. I agree with you that while it is not a place to retire from, a pilot should expect and deserves to fly safe equipment that is maintained to at LEAST the minimum as precribed by Part 135. They (the certificae holder) are obligated by law to do so and we as pilots should not have to subsidize a companies bottom line by looking the other way when neccessary stuff is inoperative of unairworthy. The pay is obscene and it DOES coincide with the agreement. You dont start making even crappy pay until your contract has expired. By then you should be able to go to the commuters for even more insult. But Central Air isnt the only offender out there. Theres way too many to list. Theyre like fleas on a dog.

We as pilots need to look out for others when the company wont or when the FAA cant. Its these companies that give good ones bad names. Now Ive said more than I wanted to regarding this and I mean you no disrespect. Of course its not the end to this type of argument. I ONLY wanted to pass along some useful information to jetbluedogs nephew so that he could make an informed decision. Look somewhere else. There are better places to work. And who says you have to work for a freight-hauler anyway. Ive seen many other opportunities out there for the lower experienced pilot that doesnt require the amount of risk that you will incur at the lower rung of the ladder type operator.

Now if you are the owner of Central Air or the chief pilot... you can disregard this.

Respectfuly

CUBMAN

Well said Cubman, I agree.
Nope, I'm not the owner or CP, in fact the owner is the CP, I've flown for central twice, once over 5 years ago for 6 months and once again after being unemployed, about 18 months ago.
No I didn't like the pay either, what I'm saying is that for low time guys looking to build piston twin time it's going to be difficult to find an operator having a standard fleet with GOOD anti-ice gear and weather avoidance ( strikefinder ) in every plane.
The AC500 is a great flying machine on one engine and with a strikefinder and TKS on every plane, about the safest way to build time out of all the 135 haulers out there.

TIGV;

Youre right. The AC500 is a really nice machine and the TKS works so well that its not even funny. It CAN get a person out of trouble. But I had it fail on me once when I really needed it and I had a few tense moments to say the least. Never again will I discount the power of prayer. I guess that at that particular time I was a little complacent about it because it does such a good job as an anti-ice system. Cheers.

CUBMAN

Latest resources

Back