Stolen Logbook

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cwuflyboy

I fear that my Logbook has been stolen, and I have some questions about how to rebuild my logbook.

I kept most of the receipts from my training, can I start a new logbook and record these times in it. If I can, do I have to get my old instructors to sign for all of the dual?

Can I start a new logbook and just start with the times entered on my most recent 8710?

How would you go about rebuilding a logbook? What sort of things should I be careful about, when rebuilding?

Thanks!

If you did any training at any schools, they should have some record of your flight time...And your instructor's logbook should also have a record of what you actually did during each lesson...As for the 8710, I don't know for sure but I've heard that it is legal enough as a record of previous time, or if not legal it comes pretty close...

Also, make copies of everything form now on...A friend of mine lost his logbook and had copies, and that made convinced me to start doing it too

Another good way is to pull your FAA medical records. If you have a first class medical then every 6 months you will have a copy of your medical application where your times are entered.

All of the above are correct. Recreate the time to the best of your knowledge, and put a statement in your log explaining what has happened. If you can obtain any of the origional endorsements, so much the better. If you can obtain the signature of an instructor who has known you or flown with you throughout your training, this is also to your benifit.

The loss of a logbook can be a real problem, but fortunately yours occured at a very low time. It's much better to try to recreate the log now, than later. Gaurd that log with your life; it may be one of the most valueable things you own.

Some would be tempted to put down on one line your total time from the former logbook, with an explaination of what happened. This is acceptable, but I would concentrate on rebuilding the log line for line, if you can. It looks better, doesn't draw as much attention, and appears more like a "normal" logbook. However, unless you can recreate it with adequate accuracy and detail, then go with a single line, and list the documentation used to recreate it. I would use the entire page, using the first page of the log. List references to any FAA forms, flight club logs, etc. Maintain a file with photocopies of all your references. You'll likely never be asked for them, but have them in case you are.

Simply include a statement that your logbook was stolen on xxx date (even reference the police report #, if you have one), and then proced to cite your evidences, in a concise and orderly manner. This is professional, and shows sincerity. If you've recreated endorsements at the back of the book, reference these, and state why, how, when, etc.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the info guys!!
I have a big binder full of copies of any FAA form I have submitted. I also have all my temporary airman certificates also. I never thought to make copies of my logbook. Nothing like learning things the hard way.

Latest resources

Back