Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Drifter

Coming to a town near you
What do you guys do to keep in shape as a pilot? Before I started to fly, I was on a strict program hitting the gym on a regular basis. Now I can't do that. Do you guys bring along any kind of equipment for the overnighters? If so, what is it? Or do you just hit the gym when you can? I am not a runner, so that's pretty much out of the question. I just can't stand watching myself getting more and more out of shape. I don't want to become one of those fat, soft looking pilots that everybody laughs at.

Become a runner!:) I try to find the exercise room in the hotels, most have them. If they don't I try to get in 30minuts of jogging. Thats about the best advice I can give. I know what you mean, its easy to put on the weight quite rapidly.

I try to bid the overnights with accessible workout facilities. Or I try and bid an overnight where at minimum I can walk (jogging hurts my knees). Other than that I bid as many days off as possible so I can stick to my "fatboy" program at home :). (I've gained almost 25 lbs at this job!).
Take care, Jetprop

I've been doing crunches and push ups, kind of old school but it works. Also, don't eat convenience foods (i.e. wheel of death) and leave half of anything you order at a restaurant or order appetizers instead of a whole meal.

Calisthenics are the key my friend. You can do them in your room and you do not need any special equipment. There is a book about the Navy SEALs' routine and it is very good and easily tailored to fit your needs. I work out regularly at home in a gym but do the calisthenics while on the road. Also watch what you eat it is easy to go for the quick food at Micky D's. Stay away from it unless you want to lose your medical at age 40. I eat at subway or similar places while on the road as much as possible. I am not sure where to get the book but I am sure you can find something at any large bookstore. Mens fitness had an article about it several months ago that was really good.

Good luck

Staying in Shape

I always bring cans of tuna with plain crackers with me. Be sure to have a can opener with you. It sucks when you remembered to bring your tuna with you but forgot your can opener. I work Part 135 on demand PAX so we dont have to many overnighters. With a pregnant wife at home it has really cut into my gym time but I stay on as good of a gym schedule as possible when on the road or at home.

One of the reasons Im going to go into the military to fly is the fact that I will have more time to workout and it will be part of the job. By bench has gone down to 315 and my deadlifts and squats have dropped in weight as well. It makes me angry because I have spent the better part of ten years trying to increase my poundages.

I cant wait to get in the military so I will have plenty of time to workout and hone my boxing and wrestling skills, which is my other love besiddes flying.

I've taken several steps to combat my slip into Larda$$ness. I've dropped over 20 lbs. since Jan 9 doing the following:

First: at my crashpad I prepare several healthy meals that I keep in the pilot lounge refrigerators to eat at stopovers in ATL. I also keep several of those new foil-pouch containers of tuna in my bag. They've bailed me out several times. I also keep a shaker along with about six envelopes of Myoplex or some other meal replacement powder (MRP) in my bag plus a good multivitamin.

As far as working out I belong to Gold's Gym. I have a travel card with them that allows me to work out at Golds' that are in layover cities. The van driver will usually take you for a couple bucks if it's not in walking distance. It's also worth it to me to pony up $5 or $10 for a good gym; a few of our layover cities have them within walking distance.

If there's not a gym you can run, like captjim, or carry a jumprope.
Pushups, crunches, walking lunges; there are quite a few weightless exercises. Also, look into purchasing one of those rubber hoses that can be used for curls, squats, and presses.

Bottom line: If you want to do it you will find a way.

Good luck.

I used to carry a jumprope. Until security in MCO took it. Now I swim laps and run on the treadmill. If there isn't a treadmill, run the steps in the hotel. Theres been a couple of times I've met pilots from other airlines "doin steps". One of the better cardio workouts I've found.

Latest resources

Back