• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spring flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was flying back from Beckley, WV last summer returning from a little white-water rafting in my 182 and had a, “palm-sweating”, experience.

I was with another friend and he is also a new CFI, it was Sunday and both of us had to get back to Chicago for work.

Well, naturally, there was a double line of level 6 CB's stretching from Wisconsin down to Mississippi and the only way home was to cut threw it.

I have a storm scope, the value of such cannot be overstated. We shot straight up to Pennsylvania before ATC turned us West directly through it. The first thing they asked was if we had radar or a storm scope so I knew I was in for a ride.

We cut it pretty tight, there was lightning off our right and left wing before entering IMC. We were actual in moderate chop for a solid hour before breaking out just to enter another line. I queried ATC and asked them if they could give us the easiest route since I felt we should have died in the first line, they told me that there was a 210 ahead of us and was doing fine and to just stay on course. They were right, it wasn't nearly as bad as the first line. I also have an S-Tec 55 autopilot; I think without those two things I would have lost two instead of only one year off my life due to stress. :eek:

My girlfriend had to take three 2mg Xanax just to stay unconscious for the ride. I don't think I will be flying in that stuff anytime soon and neither should you!

Its a great feeling to know you made it, but nothing is worth dieing for!

Just my 2 cents..........

Fly Safe and keep getting ratings!

Unfortunately, people who are foolish enough to go there once, often have the false self confidence to do it again (however terribly misplaced it may be).

The effect is rather like someone who has survived a few rounds of russian roulette, being willing to give it another try. Just not smart.

Storm scopes don't see hail.

Speaking of hail.......I was 15 miles from a cell near Lansing (last summer again) when I started hearing it hit the windscreen, needless to say I chopped the throttle and did a quick 180! At least with hail you can hear it start which gives you time to turn around, lightning is a bit harder to escape and predict.

Fine by ATC standard, "oh their voice only went up three octives".

Never trust ATC with your life because in the end they are on the ground and your the one stuck in the plane.

I think the best advice that I have ever been given is:
Before everyflight call flight service. And then just after your pre-flight pull your blue card with the hole in it. If the sky matches the card fly.

There is not a single flight that is worth putting you life on the line.

I will second everyone who says to deviate around the CB's. But what side you deviate on is equally as important. Always know what direction the winds are aloft. Some of the worst turbulence I've encountered has been on the downwind side of a buildup. If you don't have a winds aloft forecast and can't get one through FSS or ATC, look for the blowoff to determine approx. wind direction. And by all means never fly beneath an anvil as this is where your most likely going to encounter hail from a TS. :D

Latest resources

Back