Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit Airlines to charge $30-45 for carry-ons?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ProFrac,
sometimes business standpoints can be dumber than heck..just ask the coke execs..."New Coke"...it reminds of what I saw when US air started charging for sodas. I commuted on them so I really only saw the effect on USAir, but nobody less maybe one every other flight ordered a drink..not even a beer. they rejected all beverages because of the policy...so the policy ends up costing more in lost sales of beer and wine than what came from the perceived growth in cola sales.

ProFrac,
sometimes business standpoints can be dumber than heck..just ask the coke execs..."New Coke"...it reminds of what I saw when US air started charging for sodas. I commuted on them so I really only saw the effect on USAir, but nobody less maybe one every other flight ordered a drink..not even a beer. they rejected all beverages because of the policy...so the policy ends up costing more in lost sales of beer and wine than what came from the perceived growth in cola sales.

I'm with you, Climb. I'd die of thirst on US before I'd pay them for a drink. But I think this is a bit different. The airlines created a cabin problem when they decided they could raise revenue by charging for bags. Customers whined and complained - and crammed their "carry-on" beyond full. Checked baggage loads may have shrank some, but people really like to have their "stuff". Then they figured they could bump the price another $5. And now we're at $25 for the first checked bag. The last carousel I saw was packed, so passengers are willing to pay this nut to to have their stuff. I think the same thing will happen in the cabin. One of the legacy carriers will be the first to float the trial balloon (again, I think it will be AA) and the rest will follow like lemmings. And who will be the winner in all this? WN. Again.

I know it's not the crews (pilots and FAs) but what a new low for an industry that is reaching new lows.
What a pondscum move!!! Spirit has reached the bottom more quickly then anyone would have thought.
I feel you all that fly (work) for the POS management that runs this airline. I am not looking forward to having to fly on Spirit in August to MCO for sim. The crews have always been great to me and now they are going to take the sharp end of the sword that's coming for the pax.
A sad day indeed.....I can't wait to see who's next.

Does Spirit allow the crew to put bags in overhead? A few months back in the USA Today there was a gripe from a passenger asking crews to not hog the overhead space.

Is there any airline that does this? maybe some ultra low cost airline on the other side of the Atlantic?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think Ryanair does this in Europe.... and they are the at the top of the list when it comes to squeezing every cent out of customers.....well.....maybe until now.

I don't blame the crews at Spirit at all, but definitely blame their management. I agree in that AA will probably be next in line.

I've never flown on Spirit and never will as long as it continues to operate the way it does with charging customers for ridiculous things. Will they be charging women for carrying on their purses?

SWA wins again!

profrac:
I can see the logic behind what you say. I recall about the CEOs viewpoint of what an ultra low cost carrier is. He was rather indignant about customers felt about their policies and vowed that they buy tickets on us because of the price and that alone..I wonder if ,when they start adding up all the extras, they'll figure it out

They're letting you put a bag
under the seat and knocking
$40 off of the ticket price.

Pretty good deal. And no
"Cattle-Car Seating."

I hear that spirit crews will get a discount of 5% on fees for storing their bags onboard and receive an extra $10 per day if they just leave their bags at home.

This might be controversial but doesn't spirit have like 20 something airplanes and 500 pilots? Yet they charge for carryons? Do you guys have a 20 hour monthly guarantee?

Latest resources

Back