Spins in a high-time C150?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks Avbug ... you guys are tops.

I understand what a graveyard spiral is, of course, and now I understand how to quickly determine one from the other (Thanks Avbug). I guess I'm just not yet clear on how I get 'spiralled' instead of 'spun'. I have always been told ...

Power-on stall, kick left rudder at the break, hold yoke for number of turns wanted ... power off, opposite rudder till rotation stops, yoke forward, manage the dive.

Is this correct? And if so, at what point could I start venturing into a spiral instead of a spin? I guess I'm asking what control inputs could lead to a spiral rather than a spin?

Thanks again all!

Minh

recovery

In a 152/150, you hold the yoke all the way back and let it go over the top, inverted and then you see the ground start to go around below you. It is definitely a Power OFF stall. As soon as the thing goes over, you take the throttle all the way out. To recover after about 1-2 rotations, you just apply the recovery method you described, actually the yoke to neutral (otherwise you loose more altitude than you want to), opposite rudder and allow the spin to stop. Rudder neutral and slowly recover from the decent. Airspeed stays pretty constant, though your rate of decent is way off the scale...

I got into the spiral trying to mimic my instructor forcing the a/c over to the right. I had not let the stall develop fully and only one wing ended up stalled. Much shallower dive, though you will see the airspeed build VERY quickly. Similar recovery, though you have to do it quickly or you can reach redline fast. Think I was at a max of about 120kts when we recovered. Way to avoid it is to WAIT for the stall to develop before you kick full rudder to enter the stall. They spin so readily to the left that it took a jog to the left before going over to the right anyway!

And hey, I'm an expert now; done them once for my spin endorsement (we did 10-12 of them, about 10 with me at the controls exclusively). Listen to these guys like Avbug and Bobby who have actually instructed instructors....

Fun stuff!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back