Special VFR Class C/D when A/P is reporting VFR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK for all the dyslexic pilots on this board

I was in Class C above the Class D airport.
The airport in question or the C in question is not on the list of VFR prohibited.
Flying Ninja your list refers to Class B airports.

And yes I can descend through (a hole in a) broken layer.
Obviously not going full blown "in the clouds" IMC.

KSU aviator, I was not on an IFR flightplan trying to get special VFR that's the whole point.
I was proven right by the way, don't have the reference in front of me now but I will quote song and verse from the controllers handbook

Flying Ninja your list refers to Class B airports.

And yes I can descend through (a hole in a) broken layer.
Obviously not going full blown "in the clouds" IMC.

I'm aware of that. I provided the list in case you weren't aware of its existence.

I also realize what you're trying to do, dive bombing through a hole in a broken layer. Most pilots would have a very hard time maintaining VFR cloud separation under such conditions, but hey, if no one calls you out on it, I suppose it's legal and safe. *sarcasm*

I'm aware of that. I provided the list in case you weren't aware of its existence.

I also realize what you're trying to do, dive bombing through a hole in a broken layer. Most pilots would have a very hard time maintaining VFR cloud separation under such conditions, but hey, if no one calls you out on it, I suppose it's legal and safe. *sarcasm*

(Turn on soft and soothing voice..)
Dive bombing?
I was trying to descend legally without resorting to filing IFR.
I was trying to stay legal and safe.

(Turn of soft and soothing voice..)

Here's the reference by the way;
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/ATC.pdf

Psalm 5 verse 7-5-1 (b)

b.​
SVFR operations may be authorized for aircraft
operating in or transiting a Class B, Class C, Class D,
or Class E surface area when the primary airport is
reporting VFR but the pilot advises that basic VFR

cannot be maintained.

So unless I need to learn how to read, I'm right.

Did you tell the controller that you were unable to maintain VFR? Anyway, you got your answers. And it would have been a lot easier to obtain a local IFR and shoot an approach into the airport.

IMHO, it's not the smartest thing to be "flying" through a hole in a broken layer when you can see behind those clouds around the airspace you will eventually occupy. You never know who's flying under it and in Class D, they don't have any requirements or obligation to alert you, as you are under VFR and see-and-avoid is 100% on you.

Did you tell the controller that you were unable to maintain VFR? Anyway, you got your answers. And it would have been a lot easier to obtain a local IFR and shoot an approach into the airport.

Yes, I did tell them that I would not be able to descend and maintain VFR in accordance with 91.155
When we got a DUAT WX briefing for this flight SCT was reported and forecast.
When we got there it turns out to be a broken layer.
The fact that I have an instrument rating is irrelavant, at least supposed to be for this discussion.
What if it would have been a VFR only pilot? according to the ATC controller he/she would have had to declare an emergency.
Not true as pointed out, SVFR would be the option to continue to operate legally.

Not relevant to the discussion but this Class C is notoriously difficult with IFR clearances when airborne. They always refer you to FSS to file.

The celing of the class D in question is 1200' where it meets the overlying Class C.
I would seriously doubt that a Class D TWR controller would allow traffic to overfly the airport at 200' above traffic pattern altitude.
Any traffic above 1200' would have been talking to the Class C controller.
SVFR and IFR are seperated so Im not sure where you're trying to go with the following statement:
it's not the smartest thing to be "flying" through a hole in a broken layer when you can see behind those clouds around the airspace you will eventually occupy. You never know who's flying under it and in Class D, they don't have any requirements or obligation to alert you, as you are under VFR and see-and-avoid is 100% on you.
Exactly my point hence the SVFR request.

But hey..whatever.. we can still be friends..:pimp:

If it was a VFR pilot, s/he would have done what you did; circumnavigate. As for PITA to get local IFR, well, that's on you. If I needed it, and FSS is the only way, so be it. I'm also unfamiliar w/ the airspace configuration so this is all generalized discussion on my part.

As for it's not the smartest thing to be "flying" through a hole in a broken layer part, I don't know where you are in the D airspace, and what's in it. Are you descending over the airport? 4SM out where there might be obstructions/guy wires to consider? I don't know. I wasn't there. Once again, generalized discussion here.

And yes, we can still be friends. :)

Hey I quit smoking so temper wise I've been on a hair trigger the last couple of months. Maybe I need a SODA....but that's a whole other can o' worms...

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking . Just think, you probably added additional years of flying in your future! :)

Latest resources

Back