• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest pilot talks proceed quietly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I like the fact that both sides seem to want to work together to do what is right. For me it isn't all about the money. I don't work at SWA but would like to if they can continue the relationship that pilots have with mgmt.

Yes, a B-plan is better than a 401K. The only advantage of a 401K is if it forces you to save money that you might not have otherwise. In all other ways that I can think of, a B-plan is superior to a 401K. If you think about it, a 7.3% B-plan (for example) is kind of like your company matching your 401k contribution up to 7.3% without you having to contribute anything. If you wanted to, you could take the 7.3% that you would have had to contribute to get the 7.3% matching company contribution and stick it in a IRA. The big difference between a 401K and a B-plan in this situation is that I'm free to do whatever I want with my 7.3% contribution; I don't have to contribute anything to get the 7.3% from the company. I would take a B-plan over a 401K any day of the week.

I would also take a B-plan over profit sharing because I get my B-plan contribution regardless of whether or not the company makes a profit. My B-plan, in other words, is not tied to company performance factors I have no control over. The only advantage I can think of that profit sharing has over a B-plan is if it actually motivates everyone in the company to actually perform significantly better to the degree that the company achieves a profit where it wouldn't have without the added motivation of a profit sharing plan. Does this really happen? It's unprovable either way though I have some serious doubts as to whether or not it is an effective motivational tool. I'd rather just get my contribution regardless of whether or not management makes the right decisions or the rampers in LAS are unhappy, etc. Know what I mean?

Tell that to the MCO based SWA Captain that pulled in $400,000 last year.

I saw his W2.
Tell that to the Fedex MEM based CA that pulled in $700,000 last year. I saw his W-2.

I saw his W2.
Doesn't everyone carry their W2s with them so they can show everyone they meet?

I remember hearing the same thing from United Captains and even ATA captains that were working the system. Not anymore.

I saw his W2.

not to knock on him, but he averages 8 days off a month from what i hear.

Latest resources

Back