Southwest Pilot Holds Plane For Murdered Child's Family

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EWR FO

This problem didn't happen until recently. I retired 7 years ago landing at the most demanding airports and feel from what I have read that things have changed in that time. It is sad. I hope pilots will not let automation take them out of the loop in flying the aircraft. An event will happen some day that will require a manual approach and landing and I hope somebody can do it. It isn't that hard but somebody has to know how to do it.

It's got nothing to do with automation and everything to do with mindset or lack thereof. There are way too many guys sitting in left seats, industry-wide, that are afraid of their own shadows.

Guys in the left seat afraid of their shadows? What airline is that happening in? I don't think it is a problem in the majors because most of them are seasoned pilots. All of the FO's could be captains.

Last edited:
hiflyin did not turn this into a hate event, but chqflyer lit the match with his "all other airlines would have left them " remark...that was in point of contention...

the guy deserves an atta boy for sure, but don't make this about SWA pilots being holier than thou please....
Poorly worded post on my part. At many other airlines, the info would never have been passed along to the crew. I've seen MANY gate agents truly delight in bringing full grown adults to tears. I sincerely believe any pilot would have a shred of decency to do the right thing in this type of situation.

Guys, this guy would have held the plane at any airline he worked. It's the attitude of the person, fortunately SWA encourages this kind of behavior.

The kudos are misplaced. Any captain would have done the same thing if they had the information. The hero here is the reservations agent that took it onto themselves to pass the information downline and all the people that passed the info on until it got to the captain. Shows what can happen when information doesn't have to cross the Indian Ocean.

the kudos are misplaced. Any captain would have done the same thing if they had the information. The hero here is the reservations agent that took it onto themselves to pass the information downline and all the people that passed the info on until it got to the captain. Shows what can happen when information doesn't have to cross the indian ocean.

+1....

Poorly worded post on my part. At many other airlines, the info would never have been passed along to the crew. I've seen MANY gate agents truly delight in bringing full grown adults to tears. I sincerely believe any pilot would have a shred of decency to do the right thing in this type of situation.

No problem Chq, great observation.

H

Latest resources

Back