• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Blasts Revised Slot Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kind of like Southwest in BWI, MDW, LUV, etc.?

Funny, we started in BWI with about 36 flights US Air had over almost 300. They would tell me all the time that they would run us out of BWI within a year. They controlled all the gates and would not give any of them up, even the ones they did not use. MDW has gates owned by the city that any airline is more than welcome to use. DAL I recommend staying away from, way to much Kool Aid :)

You guys would have NEVER gotten close to your current rates without a bump from the DL contract. Sure, you are profitable, but showing what the DL pilots made and the SWA profit potential left your manangement with no choice. Now, you need to keep yours where it is at now so the DL pilots can use that as a jumping point eventually, and then you guys will be back to square one---good pay but regional schedules compared to the better paying legacies.

You just don't get it General. Southwest's payrates were never based upon another airlines' plus a percentage. They are, and always have been, based upon what the company could afford.

Please don't take credit for the "DL Contract" - the United boys did all the real work to attain their contract in 2000. You guys merely attained UAL + 1 after your management witnessed the havoc the United pilots caused during the summer of 2000. This after US Airways attained UAL + 1. Unfortunately, it didn't work out well for those pilot groups.

We do not need to keep our rates where they are now so Delta can use them as a jumping point. Most SW pilots could care less how much you make. We will continue to negotiate a rate that will allow Southwest to be profitable which will assure that our paychecks keep arriving.

That has nothing to do with the
market value.

Sw can buy as many slots as they
want at the Market Value.

The Market Value is the price that
another airline will sell the slots for.

Could of had the F9 slots if you
hadn't tried to avoid a fair
seniority list arbitration.

OK,...let's talk about Market Value...

You say, "Sw can buy as many slots as they
want at the Market Value."

Question...How many slots have been offered to Southwest???
How can you even establish a price if WN is not offered any slots?

You say, "The Market Value is the price that
another airline will sell the slots for."

Negative...the Market Value at a given moment in time is the highest price that any eligible airline is willing to pay. Even that number is skewed due to the fact that government intervenes into true free market dynamics.

Lastly, SLI is a side issue not related to Market Value.

You guys would have NEVER gotten close to your current rates without a bump from the DL contract. Sure, you are profitable, but showing what the DL pilots made and the SWA profit potential left your manangement with no choice. Now, you need to keep yours where it is at now so the DL pilots can use that as a jumping point eventually, and then you guys will be back to square one---good pay but regional schedules compared to the better paying legacies.

You just don't get it General. Southwest's payrates were never based upon another airlines' plus a percentage. They are, and always have been, based upon what the company could afford.

Please don't take credit for the "DL Contract" - the United boys did all the real work to attain their contract in 2000. You guys merely attained UAL + 1 after your management witnessed the havoc the United pilots caused during the summer of 2000. This after US Airways attained UAL + 1. Unfortunately, it didn't work out well for those pilot groups.

We do not need to keep our rates where they are now so Delta can use them as a jumping point. Most SW pilots could care less how much you make. We will continue to negotiate a rate that will allow Southwest to be profitable which will assure that our paychecks keep arriving.

You are full of it. Really, you are. We based a lot of our salary increase on United's, and you based yours off of ours. To say otherwise makes you look "Nuts" (to quote good ole Herb). EVERYONE looks around at their "peer's" pay while negotiating. What, you didn't? You just looked at your books and saw $6 billion in cash and said "well, we deserve this much....." RIIIIIIIIGHT. And, we don't care if you don't care how much we make, rather we just want your pay rates to stay the same, so we can compare your planes to ours, and then regain as much pay as we can. Eventually it will all be back to normal, and pilots looking for a job (without the PFT aspect) will look at our variety of planes and routes and once again decide that it is better than your well paying "regional" style flying job. At a certain stage in your life, the more legs you fly, the worse it feels. The senior guys at the regionals have it worst, since they are probably very tired of long multiple leg days. Well, that is exactly your model. MOST of your trips have multiple leg days, and most regional pilots want the high pay but would rather have an easier schedule as they grow older, like one leg a day or maybe two. How many SWA Captains left pre-9-11 for UAL? A lot. Have a FANTASTIC next trip.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
You are full of it. Really, you are. We based a lot of our salary increase on United's, and you based yours off of ours. To say otherwise makes you look "Nuts" (to quote good ole Herb). EVERYONE looks around at their "peer's" pay while negotiating. What, you didn't? You just looked at your books and saw $6 billion in cash and said "well, we deserve this much....." RIIIIIIIIGHT. And, we don't care if you don't care how much we make, rather we just want your pay rates to stay the same, so we can compare your planes to ours, and then regain as much pay as we can. Eventually it will all be back to normal, and pilots looking for a job (without the PFT aspect) will look at our variety of planes and routes and once again decide that it is better than your well paying "regional" style flying job. At a certain stage in your life, the more legs you fly, the worse it feels. The senior guys at the regionals have it worst, since they are probably very tired of long multiple leg days. Well, that is exactly your model. MOST of your trips have multiple leg days, and most regional pilots want the high pay but would rather have an easier schedule as they grow older, like one leg a day or maybe two. How many SWA Captains left pre-9-11 for UAL? A lot. Have a FANTASTIC next trip.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sorry to tell you General - Delta's (as well as others) payscales may have been studied for a general awareness of the state of the industry - but they were not used as yardstick for a minimum or maximum pay rate. Southwest has always negotiated payrates based on maintaining a sustainable profit. We have never had a revolving door of CEOs who were only interested in short term stock increases who would concede pay raises they knew were not sustainable.

I sincerely doubt you're intelligent enough to really understand what I'm asking here: When is the last time a Southwest pilot took a paycut? When was the last time you took a paycut?

You said " And, we don't care if you don't care how much we make, rather we just want your pay rates to stay the same, so we can compare your planes to ours, and then regain as much pay as we can. Eventually it will all be back to normal, and pilots looking for a job (without the PFT aspect) will look at our variety of planes and routes and once again decide that it is better than your well paying "regional" style flying job"

You do understand there is no normal in this industry - don't you? Things may never go back to the way they were. You say pilots looking for a job will look at your variety of planes and routes. I hope they do - but most pilots will go to the first major that hires them. Few pilots are presented with simultaneous multiple major airline job offers.

Your statement that Southwest is based on a regional airline model just shows your ignorance. Why do you have such an interest in Southwest, its employees, or its business? How many Southwest pilots do you see on every thread attacking Delta and its business model? Do you really think it's because Delta has a superior business? Or do you think it may be that we do not feel threatened by your business model? You and your alter ego, Scope repeatedly spout the mantra of PFT, mutiple legs, etc, etc whenever you run out of intelligent ideas to share. Your posts just turn emotional - much like an adolescent. And much like an adolescent, the real reason for your tirades are a fear of Southwest's success. Deny it if you like, but it's the only reason for your constant condemnations of all things Southwest.

At the end of the day I really don't lose any sleep over it. I'm happy here and don't feel the need to disparage Delta to feel better about my self. I am, however, appreciative that I have many friends at Delta. If I didn't, one might believe that you and Scope are representative of their pilot group. How sad that would be for a group of professionals.

Question...How many slots have been offered to Southwest???
How can you even establish a price if WN is not offered any slots?

Exactly. Southwest has not been offered any slots and is not part of this deal.

You can stop there.

If Southwest wants these slots so bad why didn't they try and work out their own deal out with US Air? Just like with Frontier they didn't seem to have their eye on the ball and didn't seem to go out and "make things happen" until others already had.

Southwest is a very smart, well run company, but lately it doesn't seem to take aggressive risks until others already have. I'm sure you guys will be ok, but some of this crybaby "this isn't fair, where's our piece of the pie?" stuff is ridiculous.

Go make your own pie.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General- I really, sincerely hope that you get your wish. I would love nothing more than to have all the legacy pilots right back to making 300 bucks an hour and selling $1500 plane tickets. I really do. Honestly.

Latest resources

Back