Southwest Airlines pilot union activates its strike preparedness committee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Total outsider here, but does SW have a "senior culture?"

Myself, a guy whose own airline appears to eat their young whenever they get hungry - but feel that is slowly turning around.

I realize everywhere the senior pilots benefit more, generally, but some places it's definitely more slanted than others.

Same difference. GK wanted something. He used "fear" to get it, with SWApA's full cooperation. SL10 was especially "frightening" for the SW guys, because had it gone to arbitration, many of the guys doing the fear mongering, errr, "negotiating" , would most likely have not gotten an upgrade out of the deal.

Look back at every "negotiation" between SWApA and the Co., going back well into the Herb era and you'll see it.

"Herb's bribe" is a great example. Instead of opening up our concessionary, 10 year(!) '94 contract at the 5 year point, we voted, a year early no less, to go the full 10 years. Even after "Herb's Bribe", and before the other majors negotiated record breaking pay rates, we were still amongst the lowest paid major pilots in the industry. The reason it was sold to "us" was the fear that somehow, Herb would rescind the stock options that we took in lieu of pay. These options were so unevenly distributed, that even Charles Ponzi would've felt guilty about it.

Most of the group would've fared far better with a reasonable pay raise, but the guys sitting on a potential million plus in options, many of whom, (surprise!), were also the ones doing the "negotiating", didn't want to upset that apple cart.

I could go on......

84% of "us" were manipulated into voting for what GK wanted for the SLI.

Forgive me if I am a bit skeptical when GK "threatens" us.

Well maybe it's the same, maybe it's not. So what's going to be the "threat" now?

So what's going to be the "threat" now?
No growth will be the next threat. GK stated a few days ago that SWA will grow the fleet 2% in 2016. Wait and see how long it takes him to say that that growth, as well as all future growth, will only be practical with "realistic" union contracts.

"Southwest plans to grow its total fleet by 2% in 2016 year-over-year, according to Mr Kelly, although a "significant number of planned retirements" will bring its fleet to roughly 715 aircraft by YE2016. The carrier intends to take delivery of 19 pre-owned 737-700 aircraft in 2015, and four pre-owned 737-700 aircraft in 2016."

No growth will be the next threat. GK stated a few days ago that SWA will grow the fleet 2% in 2016. Wait and see how long it takes him to say that that growth, as well as all future growth, will only be practical with "realistic" union contracts.

"Southwest plans to grow its total fleet by 2% in 2016 year-over-year, according to Mr Kelly, although a "significant number of planned retirements" will bring its fleet to roughly 715 aircraft by YE2016. The carrier intends to take delivery of 19 pre-owned 737-700 aircraft in 2015, and four pre-owned 737-700 aircraft in 2016."

They seem to be all over the map on the ASM vs Growth.

Said to be increase ASM and AC growth today, which started the whole industry to tank.

Then Romo says later, that the 'growth' with slowly slide to zero over a period of time. WTF? Kind of talking out of both sides of their mouth. I see some growth, but restrained. If the planes are 90% full, add a few more but don't go crazy. Just enough to meet demand.

So be it. No growth, if that's what he wants to be more profitable. Is that a credible threat to cave into signing a subpar contract? Not trying to flame but what exactly is SWAPA plan on using for leverage? No growth doesn't exactly sound theatening. Furlough does but I don't see that happening.

So be it. No growth, if that's what he wants to be more profitable. Is that a credible threat to cave into signing a subpar contract? Not trying to flame but what exactly is SWAPA plan on using for leverage? No growth doesn't exactly sound theatening. Furlough does but I don't see that happening.
I couldn't agree more! No growth is a hollow threat at best and absolutely zero reason to agree to a sub par contract and I will not coerced by that illegitimate threat. You asked a question and I answered with what I see coming next.

no wonder they aren't requiring the type for an interview anymore.

Then Romo says later, that the 'growth' with slowly slide to zero over a period of time. WTF? Kind of talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Well, Jerry does expect him to throw for at least 30 TDs and win 12 games this year.

It's worked for numerous side letters in the recent past, so why wouldn't it work again?

Latest resources

Back