• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some serious venting about Jumpseating!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, Hawaiian Airlines had open jumpseat policy for years now, and even now.. they take their furloughees too. They'd pile as many jumpseaters in the back as they can fit. I've seen as many as 9 jumpseaters from LAX-HNL.

ATA is the same way...

Hope the big 5 do the same thing....

uh

"All other majors - No cockpit jumpseating allowed.

The airline that you work for (or major associated with your regional) - You can cockpit jumpseat, and some require employment verification via telephone. "

Many majors allow cockpit jumpseating, but usually for their mainline pilots and some regional affiliates. I will speak for NWA and Mesaba. NWA allows up to 3 jumpseaters. They will fill the cabin first before resorting to the flightdeck. The only pilots allowed to sit upfront in NWA cockpits are NWA, Mesaba, Express I, and Alaska via employment verification.

At Mesaba, we have an unlimited jumpseat policy. We will take as many jumpseaters as there are seats. We will fill the cabin first before resorting to the jumpseat. The only pilots allowed to sit upfront at Mesaba are NWA, Mesaba, and Express I via employment verification.

Enigma,
Sometimes it's tough to tell when someone is kidding, expecially with written text where voice inflection is not heard. However, I also feel sorry for the people who get paired with you, as you keep harping on the same thing over and over. At least I try to vary it a bit.

That's why I used a smiley face!!!!

skydiverdriver said:
Enigma,
Sometimes it's tough to tell when someone is kidding, expecially with written text where voice inflection is not heard. However, I also feel sorry for the people who get paired with you, as you keep harping on the same thing over and over. At least I try to vary it a bit.

Dear Mr. Driver,

Whether I was initially kidding or not, I didn't invite you to take offense. Neither did I call you out, AND I did put one of those little "smiley faces" at the end of my sentence. So your explanation doesn't hold much water.

Other than your RJDC stuff, I really couldn't say what you harp on. I just don't pay that much attention to who posts what. So if you vary your input a bit, good for you.
If you don't like what I harp on, THEN DON'T READ MY POSTS.

Are you a female? You comunicate just like my ex-wife. First you take any opportunity to percieve a slight, then you reply as if you were in fact slighted, then you get mad because everyone argues with you. Do you ever step back and think before you react to ever situation or comment as if someone is talking to you? Did it ever occur to you that you are not the only person in the world? Did you consider that you may have been the furthest thought from my mind when I made a funny about starting a defence coalition. Like I said, Grow up.

8N

BTW, my carrier does have a no-fly option in bidding, and I'm not on it. Sorry.

PPS I searched both our post historys for the last month. You came up with 149 and I came up with 38. You're right, you do vary your input, or maybe you just have to have something to say about everything.

Remember, some people open their mouth because they have something to say, others open their mouth just because they have to say something.

Last edited:
CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG????

As far as the FAA goes, they travel for personal pleasure all the time. The majority of FAA line checks I've experienced is by an inspector going to visit someone. All they have to do is fill out a form to justify their being there on that jumpseat. The flip side of that is I would rather get a line check from one of those individuals (normally in a good mood and looking forward to their trip) than someone like the loser who jumped us at 0530 out of Portland, ME on Mother's Day! Talk about a guy with issues...he was going out for the day to give checkrides.

Ok, so what about the 135 guys?

Should we be included in this open jumpseat idea?

I am sure most of you would say no, but why?

As long as the 135 guys are on our jumpseat list at Mesaba we take unlimited. Airnet is on the list, so if you guys need to go anywhere and there are open seats pile in.

I have no beef with the freight guys personally but I think it's time we stopped letting them JS until they open up their JS. I know, I know .....it's the feds. However, I'm betting that when FedEx and UPS suddenly can't complete flights because the pilots can't get to work these companies could bring a lot of political pressure to bear on the folks that could get the JS back open again. Same goes for the rest of the Fortune 500 companies whose financial lives depend on freight. Good, bad or otherwise big money is the best way to get a little political pork served up.

So, what is your point?

You say you know it is the Feds that won't open up the freighter jumpseats, but you still think they should be banned from jumpseating? I don't get it. Actually FedEx and UPS mainly jump on thier own airplanes, they actually have a better network to get around on than most airlines. Things will change, it always does and there is no need for the PAXers to shoot themselves in the foot when this is all settled. As a former freight pilot I carried MANY pilots from the majors to get to and from work in the late night and morning hours and was glad to do it. I think ALPA and the others realize this and have been great to let the freighters keep riding. This all reminds me why I quit commuting, I don't envy anyone who has to Jumpseat.

Latest resources

Back