Social engineering in 3...2...1...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Imissmypilot

A subset of social engineering is the effort to influence particular attitudes and social behaviors on a large scale in order to produce a desired outcome or attitude in a target population.

In the case of the workplace, employers often target particular keywords or concepts to engender employee loyalty, often in direct contrast to the employee's own self interests, based on a false sense of value, worth or contribution. Words and concepts like culture, family, advancement, merit etc are often used. Reminders of management "servanthood" and messages like "we work for you" start to pop up like horses on merry go round. Strategy often involves using middle management or key employees to sound the continual drumbeat of these values in an effort to drown out common sense and self interest on the part of the employee group as a whole.

These tactics are predictable. If you ever read Confessions of a Union Buster by Marty Levitt, specifically the chapter on World Airways and their CEO Ed Daly you'll see it's not the first time these tactics were used against the Teamsters. OneSky management appears to be using it as some kind of how-to manual. The irony.

But what do I know? These aren't my ideas but rather the ideas of those who are experts in the field. After all, it's not like we've seen any of that happen here, right? I mean, it's not like they've supposedly spent millions retaining firms and lawyers to advise them on these issues, right? I know we got weekly messages during the first campaign about culture and during this latest the weekly messages are about family and servitude but surely that's just a coincidence, right?

Place you bets here on the next email topic. More family drivel? After all, it's a proven winner. More testimony of how hard management's working for you? That is an RH favorite - he's never met a personal horn he can resist tooting.

My bet is it will be something to appeal to the pockets of the pilots. Not to give the opposing team any insight but it appears that's the sweet spot of the Flexjet pilot group.

If Kenn had only paid the STIP he'd have won the first go around. Oddly enough if he'd only follow the MCBA he fought so hard (if you consider bribing and coercement hard work) he'd probably see a landslide here.

But will Kenn be able to overlook his ego and reach for the brass ring of victory? Probably not. So I bet the $$ comes through in a different form... I can't wait to see what it is.

Do you realize they think you're stupid enough to be engineered? Do you realize guys like RH, FW, TP are just pawns Ricci uses to keep his hands clean? Do you realize when you fall for it like those numb nuts you are every bit as big a fool?

Did you know that we are suppose to get a bonus in 2 weeks? Think he will pay it? Surprisingly not as may seem to care about the bonus this time around. Many don't even know about it.

Why are are people trying to vote out the union and tear up a contract that pays us MORE money? There's many things I don't get but that simple one is just dumbfounding

Club are you referring to the MCBA bonus? My bets are he will take the same brazen attitude toward it as the STIP. That may prove to be a regretful mistake for him but he just can't stand to give the Teamsters a win.

But just like after the STIP refusal he manufactured a way for pilots who pledged their souls to the dark lord a way to profit off the backs of others hard work. If they're sticking to the script we should find out if he has a similar strategy soon. Gotta love the predictability of FUD.

Club are you referring to the MCBA bonus? My bets are he will take the same brazen attitude toward it as the STIP. That may prove to be a regretful mistake for him but he just can't stand to give the Teamsters a win.

Yeah the MCBA/Signing bonus. A lot of people don't know we should be getting that. Pretty good chunk of change though and you better believe I want it. He's just hoping he will never have to implement the MCBA and thus never have to pay it. Why don't FW and PD care about that extra money in the MCBA?

How much is it????

^^^^^ see what I mean? People haven't read the contract and don't know what they should be getting paid.

1-4% depending on your gross earnings for the year.

Pilot Annual Salary

Bonus Percentage

$90,000 and below

4%

Between $90,000 and $120,000

3%

Between $120,000 and $150,000

2%

$150,000 and above

1%

Latest resources

Back