Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NERVOUS

Interested in trying this glider deal.

Complete newbie at it, so thought I'd get some input here. I realize NYC is probably not the best location for soaring, but hopefully someone can chime in with places that are both reasonably close to it, and recommended as well.

Thanks in advance.

Also you can go to www.ssa.org. On the left under the "About Soaring" bar is a "Where to Fly" bar. This brings up an interactive map and you can pick for yourself. Clubs are usually cheaper but will probably expect you to perform volunteer work for the club. Commercial operations are generally more expensive, but you fly and then are done.

Hope you enjoy, it's some of the most challenging and fun flying I've ever done.

Also you can go to www.ssa.org. On the left under the "About Soaring" bar is a "Where to Fly" bar. This brings up an interactive map and you can pick for yourself. Clubs are usually cheaper but will probably expect you to perform volunteer work for the club. Commercial operations are generally more expensive, but you fly and then are done.

Hope you enjoy, it's some of the most challenging and fun flying I've ever done.

Hello there,

I do appreciate your helpful "link."

I can imagine that it is! It's been something I've longed to do for quite awhile.

Thank you for taking the time to send in some helpful info.

Safe travels,

NERVOUS

The commercial operators are good in that the large schools can get you your rating quick, but they are somewhat impersonal, and are really only after your money.

Clubs, on the other hand, are better for a family atmosphere. You can get your ratings at one, and it will be cheaper overall, but expect it to take a heck of a lot longer.

I went the commercial route for my rating, at a large school, but have been in a club since. I'd go back to that commercial operator if I was down in the area, though, since the soaring down in that area was pretty good.

Latest resources

Back