So much for scope..........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UALX727

Here is a paragraph from an article I found today on Yahoo Aviation News. If this analyst is correct, there will be a lot more regional jet positions in the future for pilots and far less ones at the majors. Not a good thing if you are looking to eventually go to a major someday.

"The survey also showed the growing use of regional jets among major U.S. carriers. Such jets are smaller and cheaper to fly than "mainline" jets and allow the carriers to quickly respond to a change in demand for specific routes. By the end of 2004, regional jets will amount to 42% of the major carriers' fleet, up from 22% at the end of 2001, Salomon said."

42%!!!!!! If that's not outsourcing, I don't know what is. It seems to me that scope isn't working or simply isn't being enforced.

RJ's

Regional Jets are the new paradigm for the airline industry. We need to get used to it. Scope clauses are born out of fear and do not reflect the reality of todays changing industry.

As a furloughed AAA pilot I think we should have given the company them along time ago. Those who do not change are destined to be left behind.

Flame Away!

Time for one list. They are growwing, might as well get the regional pilots in your union so you can have true control over them.

SCOPE failed to control the regionals, go for complete control!!

FM

amen,

scene on a jumpseat sometime in the future:

jumpseater arrives to talk to"commuter" captain:
hey do y'all mind if i ride to (enter city code here)

CL65 captain responds :
UAL/AA/ DAL huh, sure!
hey, dont you all do the international feed for our domestic operation?

golly i crack myself up

:D

AA's VP Flight Kudwa said to us today that if it were up to them they'd fly only 777s. He also said they'd love to get rid of the F100s.

Let's face it; management will eventually get their way as far as RJs, scope or not. We can fight it tooth-and-nail and lose OR we can organize and try to benefit all parties. Just a hunch, but I forsee the former scenario as most likely.

Tis Sad but true.....

I am currently a Saab kid but am lucky enough to be in the SWA pool. (no regional partner thank GOD!!)

Nothing better for a company to get a bunch of kids to fly 50+ seat jets for 50-60 bucks an hour. My company has 69 seat Avros (BAE's scoped to 69 seats) that captains are fllying around for 83.77 after 15 years. Compare that to 200+ at mainline co's.

I wish that all RJ's were at the Mainline parents so all of us as pilots (especially regional pilots) could make a hell of a lot more cash!! On top of that, there would be a ton more major jobs.

As for scope.... It don't work!!! Why limit seats????? Mainlines should have limited number of jets!!! A 50 seat limit sounds good but if Regionals have 300+ of them well.... you do the math.... In ten years Regional growth is going to be killing the major growth... And.... that ought to make all pilots, and their wallets, sad!!!

Goooooooooo SWA!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is a regional?

When the new 100+ "regional jets" come on line flying non-stop EWR-IAH, is that a regional route, how about EWR-LAX is that a regional route. The term really doesn't fit any more. Some one with no code share, flow through etc. is going to operate these airplanes with $50-$100/hr pilots. The market place will define scope.

It's not the airplanes

RJ's are not the problem. The problem is with the pilots who are willing to work for slave wages. Scope should say, All passengers who buy a ticket from XYZ airlines WILL be flown on aircraft pilot by pilots on the XYZ seniority list. My company is in the last year of our initial contract, and accordingly we don't make much, but we are going to fight like heck to get ourselves up to standard. Unfortunately, for everyone like us, there are a couple of hundred others willing to fight for the right to work for less.
It's too bad that they don't realize that the big money they hope to make later when they get to the big show, will be gone when they get there. All because they were short sighted.
8N

supply and demand

basically boils down to supply and demand. You can bust on a guy who flys an RJ for slave wages, problem is there are 1000's waiting to take his place for even lower wages. Time for one list, or the majors will continue to lose routes and jobs.

what are u smokin??

Enigma,

enigma RJ's are not the problem. The problem is with the pilots who are willing to work for slave wages. My company is in the last year of our initial contract, and accordingly we don't make much, but we are going to fight like heck to get ourselves up to standard. Unfortunately, for everyone like us, there are a couple of hundred others willing to fight for the right to work for less.
It's too bad that they don't realize that the big money they hope to make later when they get to the big show, will be gone when they get there. All because they were short sighted.
8N

EVERYONE ELSE IS THE PROBLEM EXCEPT U EH....WHEN U WAKE UP AND PUT TOGETHER A COHERENT LOGICAL THOUGHT, COME BACK AND TRY AGAIN. BUT FOR NOW GO BACK AND SHUT YOUR HOLE

Latest resources

Back