Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

small angled tab on wing of jets, what is it??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetdriven

restraint order pending
what is this small angled tab on the top surface of jet wings, usually angled towards the fuselage. It is usually painted yellow and is less than two inches in size.. it appears to be a tab to lift the plane with but it sure seems small. I have seen them on 737's, CRJ's, ERJ's etc.

look under the tab called emergency

jetdriven said:
what is this small angled tab on the top surface of jet wings, usually angled towards the fuselage. It is usually painted yellow and is less than two inches in size.. it appears to be a tab to lift the plane with but it sure seems small. I have seen them on 737's, CRJ's, ERJ's etc.

It is to hook a rope from next to the window emergency exit. To assist passenger out the aircraft and to prevent them from going off the wrong way. It is also used to assist passenger after ditching the aircraft in water .

CarjCapt said:
It is to hook a rope from next to the window emergency exit. To assist passenger out the aircraft and to prevent them from going off the wrong way. It is also used to assist passenger after ditching the aircraft in water .

People come here looking for honest advice, and you tell him some dumb **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** like that? '**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**s wrong with you man?

The real purpose is to provide auxillarary power for the lavatories. They are notorious for falling off in flight, and when they do, the "contents" of the lav holding bin are spewed all over first class.

CarjCapt is correct

jetdriven, CarjCapt is correct. That is exactly what the little yellow tabs are. Cutlass1287, it would be wise to remember the famous quote, "better to remain silent and let people think you are ignorant then to speak and remove all doubt".

Cutlass1287 said:
The real purpose is to provide auxillarary power for the lavatories.

Good god man, are you insane? Those are the stowable handles for the existential lift generators to be used when pilots come to the end of an emergency checklist and the problem is still not resolved.

Auxiliary power for the lavatories, preposterous!

FoF

I always thought those were handles the people in asia used to hang on too, too hitch a ride - you know, in case the aircraft is overbooked which happens quite often.

CarjCapt said:

I always thought those things were stupid. Nobody is ever going to remember to use those things when they are jumping out of a burning (or sinking) airplane.

I can see it now. Some schmuck that blew off the exit row briefing card is going to hold back the mad rush of people trying to exit the aircraft while it is burning in a ditch off the side of the runway because he has to "hook up the strap."

Latest resources

Back