Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Small Aircraft Transportation System (SATS)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DesertFalcon

Member since 1999
2:48am (UK)
NASA System Could Make Flying Cars A Reality

By John von Radowitz, PA Science Correspondent
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4096634

A “highways in the sky” system developed by Nasa could be the first step towards turning Hollywood’s vision of the flying car into reality.

Later this year Nasa will demonstrate the Small Aircraft Transportation System (SATS) before an invited audience of engineers, scientists and members of the public.

The event at Danville Airfield in Virginia may “one day be viewed as one of the most significant milestones in aviation history,” according to The Engineer magazine.

SATS, costing £37 million, incorporates key technologies needed for a future network of “highways in the sky” to be used by low-cost, single pilot aircraft.

Many experts believe SATS could provide the basic infrastructure needed for personal flying vehicles.

Flying cars have captured the public imagination since the 1950s and featured in numerous films and TV shows such as the Jetsons and The Fifth Element.

A number of companies are looking seriously at flying car projects. But without a safe system to prevent mid-air collisions and remove the need for extensive pilot training none of them are likely to get off the ground.

SATS uses finely tuned GPS satellite technology to allow plane-to-plane communication and provide cockpit displays showing the precise location of every aircraft in a flying zone.

It will remove the need for expensive ground-based equipment, and enable large numbers of planes to operate safety around a small airport.

SATS also makes it possible for one pilot to operate as safely as two by programming in pre-determined flight paths.

The sky highways would replace traditional “hub and spoke” air travel with a point-to-point system.

The June demonstration will see SATS tested on a number of Nasa’s own aircraft as well as those of outside companies interested in the technology, The Engineer reported.

SATS manager Jerry Hefner, from Nasa’s Langley Research Centre, said: “I believe the 21st century will be known as the century for personal air transportation, and people will look back and see that SATS led to that.”

One company, Moller International, based in Davis, California, has actually built a flying car.

The M400 Skycar is a vertical take-off and landing vehicle designed to carry four passengers for 900 miles at over 300mph.

Over the next few months the M400 will be fitted with new high-powered engines which will allow it to undergo untethered manned test flights for the first time.

Nasa’s own Personal Air Vehicle (PAV) project also has a number of exotic looking flying machines on the drawing board, but these are just concepts at the present time.

London-based aviation company Avcen is soon to conduct flight tests of its “Jetpod”, a five-passenger aircraft designed to operate as a “flying taxi” capable of landing on 400ft long runways in city centres.

The've been talking about this for years.... DWINGS re-ran that program for the good part of the last century :)

I doubt it will ever happen ... just doesnt' seem possible IMO.

Call me a retro grouch.

Even if technology will allow for SATS to occur, odds are that implementing it practically will present many, many challenges. It seems that there is always great disparity between what the "wave of the future" du jour is and what actually occurs. Take GPS for example: GPS has revolutionized the way we navigate, but we are still for the most part doing it in airplanes designed 20-30 years ago and on the old fashioned "steam guages" (which, by the way, I don't think are going anywhere soon either--designing a PFD/MFD for GA is one thing, but paying for it is quite another.)

Hey, whatever happened to Microwave Landing System? I thought it was supposed to replace ILS by 1990 or something.

-Goose

Last edited:
Goose Egg said:
Call me a retro grouch.

Even if technology will allow for SATS to occur, odds are that implementing it practically will present many, many challenges. It seems that there is always great disparity between what the "wave of the future" du jour is and what actually occurs. Take GPS for example: GPS has revolutionized the way we navigate, but we are still for the most part doing it in airplanes designed 20-30 years ago and on the old fashioned "steam guages" (which, by the way, I don't think are going anywhere soon either--designing a PFD/MFD for GA is one thing, but paying for it is quite another.)

Hey, whatever happened to Microwave Landing System? I thought it was supposed to replace ILS by 1990 or something.

-Goose

Some of this technology is going to come down to the corporate/charter levels. The technology may not evolve as quickly as the article states, however, I think the small jet is the future of aviation.

DesertFalcon said:
Some of this technology is going to come down to the corporate/charter levels. The technology may not evolve as quickly as the article states, however, I think the small jet is the future of aviation.

But what of the single engine piston?

-Goose

Last edited:
I think Moller's been promising a 300 mph VTOL "skycar" is 2-3 years away for 2-3 decades now. They think this is feasable, but don't want the liability of selling their rotary engines to homebuilders? Hmmmm

Might as well buy stock in Spacely's Sprockets...

Why?????????

Small Aircraft Transportation System (SATS)

If this is so GREAT,as we have all been told,then why isn't this concept working well????:rolleyes::rolleyes: :angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

If this is so GREAT,as we have all been told,then why isn't this concept working well????:rolleyes::rolleyes: :angryfire:angryfire:angryfire
Hey Special G-Farce, Speaking of concepts. Whatever happened to you son? Little G-Farce?? :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back