Sleep Deprivation and Aircrew Performance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Continuation from above....Days 2 and 3

Were to begin... Day two started with a 0300 wake up and 0330 departure for the airport. 0430 arrival at the airport to find no airplane. Get in a taxi, DH to another podunk airport and hop in the back of that flight to DH to BOS. It's not 0730. Wait in BOS until 1030 for an airplane to arrive and leave for our first round trip an hour late. Fly the round trip back to BOS and then hurry up and head back out for the last leg before crew change..

Today... another 0300 wake up with the same drive to that podunk airport to get in the back again to DH back to BOS where an airplane is supposedly waiting for us again. Get to BOS at 0730 and first round trip in scrubbed because no airplane. Airplane shows up and the weather goes down. Weather up in Maine for most of the day was hovering between 1/4 and 1/2.. Next round trip comes due and is CX due to weather.. 3 more hours to sit on my already sore as@ until the next trip. 3 hours go by and it's time to go. The release shows the weather is up to 1/2 FG OVR 100.. I think cool, we get to go fly.. The weather in the region is overall crap, so I call the AWOS and sure enough, it's down to 1/4 again.. Trip is CX.. But wait.. Dispatch wants us to do another trip. We get the wx and it's 1/2 FG VV100.. We launch with 10 people for what should be a quick flight to the cape.. We get there and the rvr is at 2000.. The winds on the ground were being reported as 250@12G22.. Not to bad since we're on the ILS 24. I start to wonder when I'm actually going to see those winds, since I'm holding about a 180 heading to maintain the loc.. Still holding the 180 correction till about 300 feet when the loc starts to go bye bye.. 200 feet we see nothing but white clouds and it's time to go try again... until approach tells us that the rvr had dropped to 500.. we went elsewhere. Back in BOS now and we've been up 15 hours now, on duty 13 or so.. Load up to for the get home leg, and the snow starts coming down. After an hour de-ice delay we start home.. 2 approaches later and we're back at the home base 15 1/2 hours after we started..

The babbling above should show how fatigued I am.. sorry

Latest resources

Back