Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest showing videos of crippled folks and.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to admit that I rolled my eyes a bit when I heard about the professionalism class, but I went into it with an open mind. The class was well thought out, presented well, and worth our time. They said the course was based on USAF leadership training. The articles at the end of the booklet they handed out are well worth reading as well. I would say that the course was about personal discipline as much as leadership.

While it's difficult to discern a person’s true attitude just by reading one or two posts, my first thought after reading some of these responses is that the course is aimed squarely at you. I want to work at an airline where professionalism and personal discipline are taken seriously. Don't we all?

Cheers,
Scott

Professionalism?

how about ASAP?

How about a CBA?

How about an SBA?

How about codified work rules so when you tell your wife and kids you'll be home at a certain time and some snot nosed sycophant management boy tries to extend you, you can tell him to pound sand....

I am willing to bet that my Code of Ethics, despite Timmy joking it up, is much better than a oath pledge that I am coerced into reciting....
Joking it up? That's how you refer to it?! ALPA showed it's true colors in that article, especially when the NJANG contacted ALPA, but was told to go pound sand. You and your little tree house club called ALPA is the joke.

Seriously, who needs a class on the fundamentals of being a member of society? If you don't have integrity, honor, or character to speak of by the time you sit this class, it's too late. Your parents failed many moons ago. WTF. Sounds like- dare I say it- some kind of religious cult indoctrination. Reciting a creed? The Hippocratic Oath? You're not doctors or lawyers. You're blue collar workers with no union. Morons possibly.

"there is more to life than money" and showing them videos of crippled folks who are happy with their lives and telling them "these folks have no legs and they are happy, you all have legs, you should be jumping for joy!"

I have a difficult time believing they would do something like that. I think the class could be beneficial and would keep an open mind. If they did show videos like the aforementioned then I would be prepared to walk out of the class. That kind of thing would be offensive and despicable for personal as well as obvious reasons.

Joking it up? That's how you refer to it?! ALPA showed it's true colors in that article, especially when the NJANG contacted ALPA, but was told to go pound sand. You and your little tree house club called ALPA is the joke.

Don't hold back..... tell us how you really feel....

It's been called Captains class or some variant at major airlines, nothing new. I understand why the Co. is doing it (just take a look at the recent industry accidents and the CVR transcripts) but I think trying to instill disciplne and integrity in a bunch of high school punks in one afternoon is futile, it takes the Marines 13 weeks.

I want to work at an airline where professionalism and personal discipline are taken seriously. Don't we all?

Cheers,
Scott

For sure, but that's half the equation. When a company such as Skywest runs a program like this in place of addressing the lackluster pilot working conditions, it comes across as mostly hollow. Just the fact that they ran this on your day off and then suggest after showing up that you're free to leave sends a complete mixed message that they find your time expendable, but hope you'll fall in line with this day of training and forget about all the degrading professional work conditions.

Generally I'm against these type of classes. Not because they aren't useful, but because they aren't uniformly applied. Tomorrow you will get the same call from scheduling for an illegal assignment that you got yesterday. You'll explain why it puts you over your duty limits and they will have a CP call you and tell you to fly it anyway because the company believes it is legal. Then they will self disclose to the feds and throw you under the bus. You must be professional, but for them it is optional. That is what really makes the class a waste of time.

Latest resources

Back