Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest...serving Birmingham?? What the?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto

Maybe one of you Skywest guys can fill me in here. I was flying across Alabama a few days ago and I heard a Skywest flight cleared direct to Birmingham. I couldn't believe it...have they moved that far east? It just struck me as odd...Skywest serving San Francisco, Los Angeles, and now...Birmingham.

I was flying to Wiley Post last night to pick up 20 Cherokee firefighters and heard SkyWest talking to MEM Center enroute to MEM. Good deal, just wish they'd call me for class!!!

Tailwinds...;)

Tanker,
I checked out the new route map and you are correct...Greensboro! Very impressive. So what's next...Europe? Perhaps I'll have to come aboard!
Fly Safe :cool:

Don't know why it isnt on there but I believe Tallahasi (sp?) Florida is a new destination as well.

Coast-to-coast---pretty impressive for a "regional". Which DL flights are these routes replacing?

It's amazing to me that so many guys at the majors don't see the foolishness of allowing the substandard wages at said "regionals" (plainly national carriers flying smaller aircraft) to perpetuate. It's only going to get worse.

Out of curiosity, prior to the downturn over the last 6 months, how long was the average tenure at SkyWest before people left for the majors?

That long range regional jet (dash 200lr) has got some legs. Airlink uses it on a MSP-PVD run. They are also looking at connecting MSP with SLC,PHX and LAS. Just wait until the light goes off in their marketing brain and realize they could make more money using their own RJ's feeding SEA than paying Horizon. Now that will be a big region.

VFR on Top said:
Coast-to-coast---pretty impressive for a "regional". Which DL flights are these routes replacing?

It's amazing to me that so many guys at the majors don't see the foolishness of allowing the substandard wages at said "regionals" (plainly national carriers flying smaller aircraft) to perpetuate. It's only going to get worse.

Out of curiosity, prior to the downturn over the last 6 months, how long was the average tenure at SkyWest before people left for the majors?

Well, actually, most of Skywest's new operations are replacing ASA flights in DFW.

And I believe the guys at the "majors" do see the foolishness. Delta got their scope clause to protect themselves. ASA has none, so the RJs are now being used against a regional.
Of course, it might have a lot to do with ASA's contract being up next Sep too...

Yup I'll raise my hand too, didn't major but I took them in college somewhere along the way. For all that I still feel that the scope clauses are valid and need to exist since I want to fly at a major someday soon. However with that said I did major in finance and I realize that whatever provides the best economies of scale for the corporations is likely to become the norm. Oh well at least maybe this means I can fly a jet soon instead of a prop.

Twotter76

Latest resources

Back