• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sat74

Co-Pilot Sues SkyWest for Mistreatment
Wednesday, January 16, 2002

BY MICHAEL VIGH
THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

A female co-pilot for SkyWest Airlines filed a lawsuit against the company in federal court Tuesday, alleging a male pilot exposed himself to her in the cockpit while on final approach to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport last month.
Paula Manjarrez's suit in U.S. District Court for Utah claims that following the incident, SkyWest supervisors laughed and "high-fived" pilot Robin Wall for "his sexually demeaning and obscene performance."
SkyWest Airlines officials said they could not comment on the contents of the suit because they had not been served as of Tuesday afternoon.
"However, SkyWest categorically denies that Ms. Manjarrez was unfairly treated in any way in connection with her employment," said Sabrena Suite, spokeswoman for SkyWest.
In the lawsuit filed by Salt Lake City attorney Bel-Ami De Montreux, the Salt Lake County woman also claims she was unfairly disciplined after she piloted a flight from Omaha, Neb., to Salt Lake City International Airport following a hail storm last May.
After Manjarrez was placed on administrative suspension and demoted from pilot to co-pilot, she filed a discrimination complaint with the Utah Anti-Discrimination Division. Four months later, she received official permission to sue the St. George company.
Last month during a landing, Manjarrez was working as co-pilot when Wall allegedly pulled down his pants, grabbed his penis and demanded she perform a sex act, according to the suit. After Manjarrez refused, the pilot pressed himself against Manjarrez and "proceeded to fill a soft drink container with urine."
Last week, Manjarrez was placed on leave without pay and required to participate in the company's mental health or counseling program to prove her fitness to remain a SkyWest employee.
The suit alleges gender discrimination, retaliatory discrimination and negligent infliction of emotional distress. Manjarrez demands a jury trial and asks for punitive and compensatory damages and attorney fees.
[email protected]

You know, some guys have all the fun! And I used to think it only happened in the movies.:D

:D It's only harassment if he has something to wave about! HA HA

Apparently this isn't the first time this has happened at SKW either. My ex (a former OO Capt) told me about a similar shocking incident in 1995....

before anyone gets the wrong idea..... there is way more going on here then meets the eye. (no pun intended).

she was, at one time, a captain here on the rj. in fact, she was the first female rj capt. here at skywest. after the incident occurred invovling some bad judgement (story unto itself) on her part, she was demoted to the right seat. * most pilots here feel as though they would have been fired for such an incident.* after this, she began to feel singled out, i imagine, and began taking notes on all the captains she flew with. any little deviation from sop was noted. well, as you might have guessed.... this didn't sit well with most captains. she was taken off line a little while ago and put on suspension for such shenanigins.
IMHO, this "harrasment" probably did not occur (it's possible), but is really a last f**k you to the company now that she's losing her job. it's unfortunate, she was the skywest poster child at one time..... -sr.

Last edited:
Robin Wall

As a point of information, Robin Wall was the Chief Pilot at SkyWest in the late '80s-early'90s. I still have copies of cover letters addressed to him when I sent him resumes.

Last edited:
Not trying to start anything, but was wondering it the incident in question was the one where the power was brought back to idle to high on final and resulted in a hard landing? I remember reading a bout something like that a couple of months ago where the Capt and FO's statements were completely different.

Tim47SIP said:
Not trying to start anything, but was wondering it the incident in question was the one where the power was brought back to idle to high on final and resulted in a hard landing? I remember reading a bout something like that a couple of months ago where the Capt and FO's statements were completely different.

You're thinking about an ACA RJ crew that biffed one in in ROA at night. The CA said she had windshear and a rough landing. The FO said there was no windshear and the CA stalled it. The airplane was extensively (but not visually) damaged yet neither pilot fessed up until a day later... and the airplane had flown several legs.

IFF, Thanks, that was the one. Wonder if that Capt was suspended or demoted for any period of time?

Relief tube?

Let's see, pee in a cup. Does the CRJ have a relief tube? Are there any exceptions to a sterile cockpit below 10,000'?

MAN I GOTTA GOOOOOOOOOOOOO........

ifly4food said:

You're thinking about an ACA RJ crew that biffed one in in ROA at night. The CA said she had windshear and a rough landing. The FO said there was no windshear and the CA stalled it. The airplane was extensively (but not visually) damaged yet neither pilot fessed up until a day later... and the airplane had flown several legs.

The RJ incident at ROA did not involve an ACA crew. I believe it was Mesa.

Just wanting to protect the innocent :)

Latest resources

Back