Skywest classes!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys and Gals,

Do any of you know if Skywest is making furloughee's resign from their current employer? Reason being, I'm on furlough from a major and don't want to give that up; but I'm perfectly willing to commit for a couple of years. (I'd think that would be enough time to recoup their training costs, considering pre-9/11, guys were leaving after a few years)

One other thing I need an opinion on: I was hired by Skywest in late 96, early 97 (right before the UAL Express relationship began) About a week before class was to start, I was placed in a pool that lasted almost a year. (I think because they were working out the kinks with the new UAL deal) When Skywest finally called, I'd already left and joined another commuter. So my question is - am I hosed because I rejected a class offer years ago? I guess this all might be a moot point if Skywest requires me to resign.

Thanks for your opinions.

Yes, SkyWest does require to give up your seniority number, and resign from your current employer.

As far as giving up a training date with them, I have no idea if that will hurt you. I can't imagine it helping you.

Last I heard from a check airman was either give up senority or agree to stay for a min. of two years. Company has softened a bit on the senority thing. :p

Good to hear that SKW is hiring. I'll post the news on our ALPA website message board for anyone who would (should) be interested:D

To EMB 120 FO...The Saab won't do 250+ IAS like the Brasilia, but it will, in fact, do 250 IAS in level flight. The airplane's VMO is 250 KIAS (I've heard the Brasilia's is 260. Is that true?). Any power setting above 91 % in level cruise flight will result in the airplane busting through the barber pole. In the winter, the GE engines will easily produce cruise torque numbers that high. Not so in the summer however.

I know the Brasilia is relatively fast, but it is typically only about 15 to 20 knots TRUE airspeed faster than the Saab. The Saab normally trues out at between 265 and 275 knots TRUE airspeed. The SKW folks that I have spoken with tell me that 280 to 295 true airspeed is normal. My experience has shown me that the numbers they have given me seem to pan out.

Just wanted to clear up a misconception.

Vmo in the Brasilia is 272 KIAS. Now and then we'll get 400 kts ground speed in a descent.

I've flown with an Emb-120 captain who has time in the Saab 340. He said he felt comfortable in it within a few hundred hours, whereas he'll never feel fully comfortable in the Brasilia. It's a bit quirky...

Don't let anyone ruffle your feathers about the Saab. I've had trouble catching up to you guys between SAN and LAX a couple times, ha ha.

Welcome to the SkyWest family!

-=FP=-

BTW: Any poolies going to the jet?

Last edited:
I don't anticipate getting any CRJ newhires until at LEAST October and probably later than that. I repeatedly advise poolies that they should NOT turn down a Brasilia class with the thought that they can get a jet class next month. Too many guys have been burned with that thought.

Since newhires get the same pay rate the first year in either aircraft and you will likely get more hours in the Brasilia than the CRJ, I can see no reason that you would want the CRJ the first year anyway.

any word on the next skywest open house or job fair? I heard there was one in portland, or. I also heard that I needed a letter of rec from a current employer. My former flight instructor went there a couple of years ago but I can remember his last name and can't seem to read it in my log book, darn pre-med signitures!

Last edited:
Waterdog,

There are two more fairs this month:

Los Angeles, Renaissance Hotel LA, 9620 Airport Blvd.
March 13

Portland, OR, Embassy Suites Hotel, 7900 Northeast 82nd Ave
March 20

At each place, there will be general presentations at 10:00 am and noon with job specific presentations to follow.

Each person attending MUST bring a letter of referral from ANY SkyWest employee.

Couldn't find a name that was close to the one you posted on the other thread at SkyWest.

Thanks Andy, I was planning on attending the pdx fair (flying tomorrow) do you recommend I not go unless I have a letter? I'm not sure if I know anyone else from skyw, let alone flown with.

Latest resources

Back