SKYW wants to buy another airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bad Kitty:

You assume, sir, that a buyer would have to buy ALL outstanding stock. In reality, it would only take 50% plus one share to have controlling interest. Comparing net assets, Skyw has 1.3B while ALK has 873M. Don't think it would take much to get the required leverage. OTOH, I don't think Jerry would go for that unless he saw a huge payout. Besides, a regional buying a "major"? It'd NEVER happen.

I was understanding the discussion as a straight buyout....not a merger. Like I stated in my previous post, ALK would want it (not gonna happen). I do see your kind of scenario with DAL, however. Not SKYW. I do frealize there are numerous ways to handle acquisitions, mergers buyouts etc.

Skywest isn't buying QX. The word is that QX will continue to fly Dash 8s for Alaska and Skywest will fly the RJs for Alaska. Alot of us aren't looking forward to that since it's going to create bitterness and resentment when a Skywest RJ comes pulling up next to a Dash 8. It's not going to be pretty folks.

Why would you be mad at us? SkyWest pilots or even SkyWest are not the one's who decided QX should be an ALL TURBO PROP feet.

That was your Management. Be mad at them.

No, they didn't. That went away 2+ years ago when branded ops shut down. As far as selling tickets as a reservation system goes.

Just because they don't do the flying anymore doesn't mean they don't have the software anymore. That is the expensive part. Skywest could easily hire people to answer phones and make reservations. They already have a new building in SLC for it. They could start that at anytime. I don't think it's going to happen though.

Skywest people, you need to get over your selves, your not going to buy Alaska. Horizon now that a different story. I could see that.

Everyone wants everyone elses flying. Everyone is selfish and wants to upgrade. Welcome to the future Alaska Air Express.

heard today, SKYW wants to buy another airline..wonder if they will go for another regional or maybe a company with bigger airplanes. How is the Brazilian airline they bought into doing? Tripp i think its called..does owning shares in a airline in south america help stock prices of skywest?

I'll try to contribute to the original post. Historically, SkyWest has made investments they consider "safe". I wouldn't be surprised if they just made an additional investment in TRIP Linhas Aereas. SkyWest owns 20% of TRIP, the max allowed under Brazilian law. That law is going to change to allow 49% foreign ownership.

The initial investment of $30 million could be raised to almost $74 million. Peanuts! Not sure what they have in mind for the $900 million sitting in the bank.

As far as TRIP's stock price, I'm not sure. I believe it is privately owned.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2010/12/...il-opening-its-airlines-to-foreign-ownership/

Im wondering if that is a new trend. buy airlines in other countries..south america is exploding with new entries and asia as well

I'll try to contribute to the original post. Historically, SkyWest has made investments they consider "safe". I wouldn't be surprised if they just made an additional investment in TRIP Linhas Aereas. SkyWest owns 20% of TRIP, the max allowed under Brazilian law. That law is going to change to allow 49% foreign ownership.

The initial investment of $30 million could be raised to almost $74 million. Peanuts! Not sure what they have in mind for the $900 million sitting in the bank.

As far as TRIP's stock price, I'm not sure. I believe it is privately owned.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2010/12/...il-opening-its-airlines-to-foreign-ownership/

I've been saying this for over a year now. They invest more now since foreign ownership is up to 49%. A robust expanding economy with an increasing young middle class willing to travel, soon to be hosts for the Summer Olympics and the World Cup. The opportunity is there and it's all about the timing. The company is still private and has a great management team, but when it goes public....lookout!! Easy $$$$$$.

Latest resources

Back