Single plane single pilot 135

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

check six

What is the quickest way to acquire a single plane single pilot 135 cert?

1. Buy existing 135 cert? I have heard that is quick but some FSDO's won't allow you to transfer owners without them basically recertifying the whole operation.

2. Go through the FSDO and fill out the app?

I have also heard that before getting full blown 135 multiaircraft multipilot cert it is best to get single plane single pilot to pave the way.

Also heard good and bad about the sanity of getting in this business. But I know of many good 10-20 aircraft 135 operations that have been around for over 30 years and look like they have made decent money, although I have not seen their books.

Thanks,

Check Six

I has been said often .. The best way to end up with a small fortune in aviation is to start with a large one.

In 2004, I started a single pilot 135 from scratch with a Navajo. It took me 90 days from the day I gave the FSDO the aircraft info to first revenue flight. From what I hear, it is not realistic to expect to duplicate that. But if you want to try, here's what I suggest:
1. Get a plane that is now or has recently been on a 135 certificate. (If you want to make money with one plane, I hope you can dry lease it instead of buying it.)
2. Use an experienced consulant to do your compliance statement. The is a 100+ page document, even for a single pilot operation. After you get it from the consultant, read it carefully before you send it to the FSDO.
3. Meet with the FSDO as early in the process as possible, and do exactly as they say. It might not seem to make sense, but if you follow their guidance they will feel good and the process will be less painful.
A big expense I had not counted on was the fact that the FAA required Part 135 insurance from the day I turned in the application. I thought I would just carry Part 91 insurance until certified, but they didn't like that. The difference was about 400%.

Good luck!

as a single pilot/single airplane operation, you wont need a company manual or training manual....those are big deals...

you dont even need to fly. All you need is a pilot that meet the requirements of part 135 PIC and a plane. After certification, you dont even need to do checkrides....Only need to be current if you actually fly a trip under part 135.

If you're running a light twin dont be suprised if they make you have a SIC. They may have you do that for a the first 100 hours or so.

DUATS said:
In 2004, I started a single pilot 135 from scratch with a Navajo. It took me 90 days from the day I gave the FSDO the aircraft info to first revenue flight. From what I hear, it is not realistic to expect to duplicate that. But if you want to try, here's what I suggest:
1. Get a plane that is now or has recently been on a 135 certificate. (If you want to make money with one plane, I hope you can dry lease it instead of buying it.)
2. Use an experienced consulant to do your compliance statement. The is a 100+ page document, even for a single pilot operation. After you get it from the consultant, read it carefully before you send it to the FSDO.
3. Meet with the FSDO as early in the process as possible, and do exactly as they say. It might not seem to make sense, but if you follow their guidance they will feel good and the process will be less painful.
A big expense I had not counted on was the fact that the FAA required Part 135 insurance from the day I turned in the application. I thought I would just carry Part 91 insurance until certified, but they didn't like that. The difference was about 400%.

as a single pilot/single airplane operation, you wont need a company manual or training manual....those are big deals...

you dont even need to fly. All you need is a pilot that meet the requirements of part 135 PIC and a plane. After certification, you dont even need to do checkrides....Only need to be current if you actually fly a trip under part 135.

If you're running a light twin dont be suprised if they make you have a SIC. They may have you do that for a the first 100 hours or so.

Would there be many differences if it was a single pilot turbine 135 such as an Eclipse 500?

AFCS/auto-pilot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not if your aircraft has an approved AFCS/autopilot system,however,you would have to demonstrate proficiency with its use on approaches in lieu of an SIC,etc,etc,etc!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::cool:;)

Last edited:
Go to faa.gov and find 8900.1, I forget what it's called, but it's the POI's "manual." Sections on single pilot, basic (5 or less pilots), and full operators, along with everything else you'd need to know that's not in the regular 119 or 135 FARs.
As far as I know, even single pilot still does checkrides, only with an FAA inspector or a designated check airman, since you can't really be your own check pilot.
And, I believe any turbojet operation requires many hours of proving runs, with the FAA on board, and must be non-revenue, prior to OpsSpecs approval.
Have fun!

Not if your aircraft has an approved AFCS/autopilot system,however,you would have to demonstrate proficiency with its use on approaches in lieu of an SIC,etc,etc,etc!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::cool:;)

not really, if the FAA wants you, as a new operator to have an SIC, then you're gonna have an sic.

Latest resources

Back