simulator instruction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shuttlepilot

Does anyone here do any instructing for companies like CAE, Simuflite, Flight Safety or the like? Wondering about flexible schedule, part time, pay etc. Do you need a current CFI for the job or does it count as ground instruction?

I used to work at Simcom and when I was part-time, I was getting about $400/day for ground and something like 300/day for sim (only four hour day). You do NOT need a CFI to teach part 25 aircraft. Just an ATP. You would need a CFI to teach an aircraft that is a "training device" (Non-motion sim like a Baron/MU2/Pilatus etc). I can't speak for cae or fsi.

...... You do NOT need a CFI to teach part 25 aircraft. Just an ATP. You would need a CFI to teach an aircraft that is a "training device" (Non-motion sim like a Baron/MU2/Pilatus etc)......

Huh? Not doubting your statement (I know nothing about sim-school requirements), but, please explain how that works? Just curious, thanks.

When instructing in FAR part 142 simulators, you are covered under the umbrella of 142 and only need an ATP. This is for full-motion sims. Like I said above if you teach aircraft that only require an FTD (flight training device) then you need the cfi like you're actually teaching in the aircraft.

That's all I know. It's bee a few years for me. Maybe it's changed?

Thanks for the info, folks. I'm looking at it as a second job or back up in case of... or just something to do after I retire. Any idea about the job market? Is there a fair amount of demand?

Flight Safety just put up a bunch of ads. This is typical and gives a general layout of reqs. An AGI/IGI used to be easy...and cheap... enough to get if you can stand taking a few more writtens but I'm not sure what's what these days. Can't hurt to have one in your pocket:

http://www.jsfirm.com/Job/Pilot-Fix...Columbus+Excel/XLS/Columbus-Ohio/jobID_219559

Having some kind of instructing (maybe LCA time would work too ?) experience on your resume is a great idea for creating options down the road. Learned that one the hard way.

Part 121 instructing doesn't appear to require a CFI (121.411 thru 413) although some 121 operators require some kind of prior instructing experience...and some don't. AA just put up an ad where there was no mention of a requirement for instructing experience. Of course, who actually gets hired may be a different story.

Good luck in the hunt.

Latest resources

Back