Shuttle America Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vin,

The answer to almost all of your questions would be pure speculation. What's senior, what's not senior... All is about to change with the three new bases. Many of the senior people will head out to Pitt, I imagine, as that is a place that two out of two of the senior captains I have discussed it with have said they'd go if Pitt opened. Bedford is likely to stay senior, too, but you may squeeze in at the bottom.

I imagine much of it will depend upon your seniority within your class, which is determined by age. I understand the bulk of your class is going to be captains, and if you are the youngest, you could end up with six or eight people above you right off the bat.

The union... Well let's just say that the only reason I even have a contract is that I photocopied someone else's. Four weeks in Hartford and they never bothered to come meet us or send us a packet of any kind. I sure hope this isn't an indication of what the union "does" for us.

Things change rapidly around these parts, so some of the above might be obsolete by the time you start class. :)

I will give you the following hint... If the left seat is in your future, you'd better be prepared to do a LOT of studying. The type ride is NOT easy and more than one person going for the type has not passed either the ride or the oral. The person who does the examining is not swayed by the company's dire need for captains and doesn't "dumb down" the examination (thankfully, depending upon how you look at it). The training doesn't necessarily prepare you to answer the oral questions... The oral is very involved and goes into the kind of detail that really presumes you have a full working knowledge of the airplane, which with no prior experience in the airplane, you won't have. You'd better know it inside and out, and if you are hazy on anything, make sure you figure it out before you head off to the man who can hand you the pink slip. And he WILL hand you a pink slip if you don't know it. I think you might meet an individual that meets this description in your ground school, as a matter of fact (he's going back to do systems again). I'm not saying it's impossible to do, but you'd better know your stuff before you meet "the man." You will get your systems book the first or second day of class, which will give you about two weeks to read it before you go to systems class... Start early and you will have a step up on the machine.

As for how many of those machines are on property, well, I can't say for sure but I think it's 11. Pure guesswork.

I P Freley,

Thanks alot for the info. It helped put a candle in the room of darkness I am headed toward. I have been trying to get ahold of the Tng Dept to get any manuals early, if you have a good number I can try send me a PM if you would. On the whole, it almost sounds like training at my current company though. With grnd school being about four weeks long, that should be a fair length of time though (mine was three weeks). Is a company man that does the checkrides or the FAA? Once again, thanks for the info and hopefully I will see you on line pretty soon!;)

Latest resources

Back