Shameless CAL Upgrade

J.Otto

Total Time
Okay, here it is:

If one were to be traveling internationally (Europe) out of EWR on CAL in economy, what prey tell, might help a passenger secure an upgrade into business or first class. This individual (CFI - not current) dresses business casual and will be vacationing later in July. The guy doesn't get to travel often, and was basically wondering whether he could swing an upgrade if available.

Any hopes of getting the captain or head FA to accommodate this individual? Magic words or secret knocks?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

PM if necessary.

J.Otto

islandhoper

Total Time
8,000+
Get your CFI current, fly a bit, get an airline job, jumpseat to Europe, be nice and don't ask for it. If the crew wants you upfront they will offer it.

Honest answer before they kill you here...

nimtz

Total Time
?
Don't waste your time, but if you do some senior mamma FA will be gleeful to rain down misery on you. This ain't the 1960's anymore I'm afraid.

ATRCA

Total Time
tons
Okay, here it is:

If one were to be traveling internationally (Europe) out of EWR on CAL in economy, what prey tell, might help a passenger secure an upgrade into business or first class. This individual (CFI - not current) dresses business casual and will be vacationing later in July. The guy doesn't get to travel often, and was basically wondering whether he could swing an upgrade if available.

Any hopes of getting the captain or head FA to accommodate this individual? Magic words or secret knocks?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

PM if necessary.

J.Otto
Dude, its hard enough to get up front as the IRO. They only way you will get in BF is to spring for the 5K or so. The IRO's have been getting screwed and are riding in steerage. Good luck.

Ex737Driver

Contract 2020????
Total Time
15000+
After June 14th it will be impossible, even for the IRO. CAL mgmt's ultimate wisdom is going to allow for upgrades to BF on intl flights. Gotta love the dignity and respect.

TNPILOT

Total Time
Lots
After June 14th it will be impossible, even for the IRO. CAL mgmt's ultimate wisdom is going to allow for upgrades to BF on intl flights. Gotta love the dignity and respect.
Does this mean that the intl' upgrade policy will mirror that of domestic? If so, good bye nonrev first class on vacation. Good grief. What is the incentive for a frequent flyer to shell out the cash for first if they know they will probably get upgraded for free?

RJAA

Total Time
N/A
I need a source on that.

Dan Roman

Total Time
Just curious, were does CAL seat their IRO's?

Flying-Corporal

As far as I know CAL doesn't upgrade non-revs to 1st class on international routes. I believe they have some rule about that.

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
There are so many gold and platinum members out there first is usually full 2 days before a flight.

While its a nice gesture to offer to those who work for the airlines to upgrade, those passengers that are dedicated to the airline and achieve status should be given the first shot.

XJTAv8r

Total Time
Just curious, were does CAL seat their IRO's?
The pilots get a "BusinessFirst" seat for crew rest, unless the front cabin sells out. In that case, the rest seat is a row of coach seats (the coach seat downgrade was part of Contract 02 concessions)

XJTAv8r

Total Time
As far as I know CAL doesn't upgrade non-revs to 1st class on international routes. I believe they have some rule about that.
CAL technically doesn't have an international first class but has a business class product called "BusinessFirst" All non-revs can upgrade on international flights, except buddy pass riders.

XJTAv8r

Total Time
There are so many gold and platinum members out there first is usually full 2 days before a flight.
This is true for domestic F/C, not Int'l B/F.

While its a nice gesture to offer to those who work for the airlines to upgrade, those passengers that are dedicated to the airline and achieve status should be given the first shot.
They can upgrade to Int'l B/F if they burn miles and pay a fee. In this case they go ahead of non-revs. There are no "complimentary" B/F upgrades on Int'l flights like you see domestically.

ATRCA

Total Time
tons
Not true. I CAL until recently did not upgrade OnePass members to BF on Int'l flights. Non-revs (SA 3's and 4's) have always been able to upgrade internationally.

LJDRVR

Total Time
Your friend is SOL. I've never ridden in BF and I work here.

jonjuan

Honey Ryder
Total Time
3,000+
Not true. I CAL until recently did not upgrade OnePass members to BF on Int'l flights. Non-revs (SA 3's and 4's) have always been able to upgrade internationally.
Not true. OnePass Elite members are NOT complimentary upgraded on US-Europe/Asia/South America/Hawaii BF flights.