Scotus union ruling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Short sighted and stupid...

Unions exist in companies because 50%+1 of the workers voted for the Union to represent them. Kinda like presidential elections.

But our Supreme Court just signaled to masses of millennials and conservative frauds alike if you didn't vote for it or you don't want it you are under obligation to support it and in reality you have high court permission to actively undermine it.

If you want to require a revote every 10 years or some other litmus test to prove the majority still wants it that should be discussed but the ramifications for this decision will come back to bite "republicans" in the butt and will be more fuel to the firestorm against the President's agenda.

You people are so short sighted you celebrate the wrong things. Just like you are celebrating the IBT loss now when in reality your ousting of the Union is just step one in ruining your company and careers buy you can't even see it yet.

Short sighted and stupid...

Unions exist in companies because 50%+1 of the workers voted for the Union to represent them. Kinda like presidential elections.

But our Supreme Court just signaled to masses of millennials and conservative frauds alike if you didn't vote for it or you don't want it you are under obligation to support it and in reality you have high court permission to actively undermine it.

If you want to require a revote every 10 years or some other litmus test to prove the majority still wants it that should be discussed but the ramifications for this decision will come back to bite "republicans" in the butt and will be more fuel to the firestorm against the President's agenda.

You people are so short sighted you celebrate the wrong things. Just like you are celebrating the IBT loss now when in reality your ousting of the Union is just step one in ruining your company and careers buy you can't even see it yet.

Although I'm not a big fan of unions, I was disappointed by the outcome of the recent decert vote.

When an unscrupulous employer is in a position to compromise safety by intimidating and punishing employees who resist directions to disregard safety driven regulations, union protection against unwarranted sanctions is essential. Sensible enforcement of sensible work rules is another very worthwhile benefit of union representation.

That said, unions have often shown a tendency to overreach and make unreasonable demands of the employer and the employee population.

In a "right to work" venue, employees are free to decide whether or not they wish to be represented by the bargaining unit. Those who choose not to be represented should not be forced to provide revenue for union activities with which they do not agree. Membership in a labor union, unlike observance of duly instituted laws, is subject to individual choice.

Tax dollars much? It's pretty much an apples-to-apples comparison when you think about it.

Law is based on precedent and if you can't see that we just opened ourselves up a huge precedent based on yesterday's ruling then I don't know what to tell you. There was nothing good for conservatives in this weeks ruling.

Private Unions are totally different than public unions

Public Unions operate on a bottomless bucket of money. The taxpayers.

Private Unions can affectively run themselves out of business if they are not careful.

Although I'm not a big fan of unions, I was disappointed by the outcome of the recent decert vote.

When an unscrupulous employer is in a position to compromise safety by intimidating and punishing employees who resist directions to disregard safety driven regulations, union protection against unwarranted sanctions is essential. Sensible enforcement of sensible work rules is another very worthwhile benefit of union representation.

That said, unions have often shown a tendency to overreach and make unreasonable demands of the employer and the employee population.

In a "right to work" venue, employees are free to decide whether or not they wish to be represented by the bargaining unit. Those who choose not to be represented should not be forced to provide revenue for union activities with which they do not agree. Membership in a labor union, unlike observance of duly instituted laws, is subject to individual choice.

This is actually a pretty decent summation. However, the SCOTUS ruling was a terrible one for one big reason: They said the unions must still provide their services to non-paying members.

Uh, that's not how things are supposed to work. If someone doesn't want to be a part of the union and pay dues, okay. But then they shouldn't receive any union services either. The SCOTUS has provided a ruling that is meant to destroy public unions, not protect first amendment rights. Yeah, the first amendment is the cover they used, but the real point of it is very clear.

Go in to a hardware store and tell them you aren't paying, but you'll be walking out with a new tool set. Don't pay for car insurance, but then tell State Farm they have to cover your accident. Let me know how that works out for you.

Yet, the SCOTUS ruling does just that with unions.

Or, in another direction, the SCOTUS could have made a ruling that was very narrow and applied to ONLY the Janus case. In reality, the plaintiff did have a point. Instead, we get an over broad ruling that will likely, at the very least, weaken public unions significantly.

On a playing field where the deck is already stacked significantly against the working man/woman, this just made things much worse.

I was looking for another article about the waning influence of unions in America over the last fifty years but can’t find it. This article has some of the same info but isn’t as informative. It’s a few years old but interesting info all the same.

I don’t know the roadmap for unions going forward. It will be uphill i’m afraid.

I was looking for another article about the waning influence of unions in America over the last fifty years but can’t find it. This article has some of the same info but isn’t as informative. It’s a few years old but interesting info all the same.

I don’t know the roadmap for unions going forward. It will be uphill i’m afraid.

depends how jacked up the employers are

Funny this just was resurrected on the company board (shut down for political reasons) but a couple of articles were posted that make me believe that even w this ruling there are paths forward in industries that really need representation.

Latest resources

Back