Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingSkip

Generalissimo
A few people have written asking about what the deal is with SATSAir and whether there might be jobs involved. Thought I'd just answer a few FAQs and let some people know what's going on...

First, if you want a quick "client" overview of the company go to www.SATSAir.com... it's not very informative from an employment point of view, but it'll give you an idea of where we're flying currently (although the service area and bases are growing fast!) and what it translates into for our client base.

Next, we ARE growing rapidly and are actively hiring. Most of us hired early on were higher time than a lot of 135 operations typically look for, but there is a real commitment by management to make the company a place people come, work and stay. This is NOT one of the "feeder" ops that just use pilots as cheap labor while the pilots are building time to move on to something better---if that's your plan PLEASE don't come and work beside me on the line! I've been there, done that on the freight side and that's not the type of attitude or work ethic that I want our customers seeing---when they're done flying with you it's only going to make my job harder on the next flight repairing the damage that you might have done. I want people working beside me who are looking for a decent operation with a good QOL, a steady paycheck and the idea of growing with a growing company.

OK, I'll get off the soapbox already, sheesh!:0

The job is a salary position, with starting pay at $31,500 plus per diem. Since I've been here, I've averaged about 4 days flying per week, sometimes more and sometimes less, with about 40-50% overnights. I've flown as many as 7 days straight, and gone 5-6 days at a time without a flight---it all depends on client demand, although I can say that we've been ramping up lately and steadying up at the 4 flight day per week average. There IS a training contract for new hires, so know that up front---it's no secret and is talked about during the interview process, so don't act like it's a big secret or something dropped on you at the last minute---the company line is that they don't want people taking the training and then going away to train Cirrus pilots elsewhere just because the airframe is so hot right now. I won't comment on whether I think there is merit to that argument or not, but it's the way it is, so deal with it or move on...

The company is based in Greenville SC (GMU) but has planes outbased in Charleston SC (JZI), Myrtle Beach SC (MYR), Burlington NC (BUY), Knoxville TN (TYS), and we're in the process of basing planes in Gulf Shores AL (JKA), the Atlanta area (probably PDK but still in the works!) and the DC area (probably HEF). From there, who knows?! Probably down the Florida peninsula and down the Gulf Coast toward Texas...

This is a good place to reiterate something I brought up in a previous thread---I am a line pilot for SATSAir, not a member of management and not privy to a lot of the decisions that are made on a daily basis and which I hear about as faits accompli. I think the company is doing something new in aviation that has a tremendous future, and I'm glad I'm in on the ground floor to grow as the company grows. The company is not perfect by any means, and with the rapid growth comes a lot of changes and the demand that personnel have to remain flexible if they don't want to become very irritated at times! I've watched the company grow from 3 planes to 16 in eight months, and supposedly we'll be adding 10 a month every month of 2006, with 12-14 pilots each month coming on line as well. Who knows where we'll be a month from now, let alone in a year or two!

To be competitive for a job at SATSAir, management is looking for an ATP or ATP mins, ie 1500 hours or more. Out of the first ten pilots onboard, only one had less than 3000 hours---lately, I believe they've started interviewing people with lower times realizing they need to "load the tubes" for the amount of guys/gals they want to hire---I saw a guy today interviewing with 1700 hours, although some of that was already Cirrus time. If you're close, or not even but are interested---don't be discouraged, make the call! Personality and desire to do well in this position are much more important than time in a log book.

I am not involved in the actual hiring process, but I know that I wouldn't be where I'm at in life in people hadn't been willing to lend me a helping hand, so I'm always ready to help anyone who's seriously interested and who I'd like working beside me on the line. I'm happy to answer questions, talk about what I like/dislike about the job and help someone make a decision.

My final thought is simple and purely my personal opinion. We're going to grow, we'll end up in jets and all that hot-sh*t stuff eventually as the Air Taxi concept grows nationally and manufacturers provide aircraft optimized for that type of trade, and a lot of people will enjoy the ride. BUT...if you're one of those people who equate the size of your p***s with the size of your aircraft don't waste your time! This is ultimately a job flying single-engine piston aircraft, albeit the most advanced ones available today, so if you want to be able to brag about your (fill in the blank---max alt, max airspeed, # of pax, range etc) then you should look elsewhere. It's a 4 seat airplane doing 185-190 True and you fly regularly and make $30K+ to start....if you like that idea, come on down! If not, best wishes in whatever you do.

Glad you started a new thread, Skip. That last one became nothing but a pi$$ing contest between two Sierra-Hotel pilots who's egos were much larger than their d**ks. I wish you guys good fortune.

To anyone who has PMed me about info on the company---sorry I haven't been back, I've been under the weather with a head cold...and I would never self-medicate so I'm suffering through it! I'll get answers/comments back to you ASAP.

Overdoing it AGAIN

FlyingSkip said:
A few people have written asking about what the deal is with SATSAir and whether there might be jobs involved. Thought I'd just answer a few FAQs and let some people know what's going on...

First, if you want a quick "client" overview of the company go to www.SATSAir.com... it's not very informative from an employment point of view, but it'll give you an idea of where we're flying currently (although the service area and bases are growing fast!) and what it translates into for our client base.

Next, we ARE growing rapidly and are actively hiring. Most of us hired early on were higher time than a lot of 135 operations typically look for, but there is a real commitment by management to make the company a place people come, work and stay. This is NOT one of the "feeder" ops that just use pilots as cheap labor while the pilots are building time to move on to something better---if that's your plan PLEASE don't come and work beside me on the line! I've been there, done that on the freight side and that's not the type of attitude or work ethic that I want our customers seeing---when they're done flying with you it's only going to make my job harder on the next flight repairing the damage that you might have done. I want people working beside me who are looking for a decent operation with a good QOL, a steady paycheck and the idea of growing with a growing company.

OK, I'll get off the soapbox already, sheesh!:0

The job is a salary position, with starting pay at $31,500 plus per diem. Since I've been here, I've averaged about 4 days flying per week, sometimes more and sometimes less, with about 40-50% overnights. I've flown as many as 7 days straight, and gone 5-6 days at a time without a flight---it all depends on client demand, although I can say that we've been ramping up lately and steadying up at the 4 flight day per week average. There IS a training contract for new hires, so know that up front---it's no secret and is talked about during the interview process, so don't act like it's a big secret or something dropped on you at the last minute---the company line is that they don't want people taking the training and then going away to train Cirrus pilots elsewhere just because the airframe is so hot right now. I won't comment on whether I think there is merit to that argument or not, but it's the way it is, so deal with it or move on...

The company is based in Greenville SC (GMU) but has planes outbased in Charleston SC (JZI), Myrtle Beach SC (MYR), Burlington NC (BUY), Knoxville TN (TYS), and we're in the process of basing planes in Gulf Shores AL (JKA), the Atlanta area (probably PDK but still in the works!) and the DC area (probably HEF). From there, who knows?! Probably down the Florida peninsula and down the Gulf Coast toward Texas...

This is a good place to reiterate something I brought up in a previous thread---I am a line pilot for SATSAir, not a member of management and not privy to a lot of the decisions that are made on a daily basis and which I hear about as faits accompli. I think the company is doing something new in aviation that has a tremendous future, and I'm glad I'm in on the ground floor to grow as the company grows. The company is not perfect by any means, and with the rapid growth comes a lot of changes and the demand that personnel have to remain flexible if they don't want to become very irritated at times! I've watched the company grow from 3 planes to 16 in eight months, and supposedly we'll be adding 10 a month every month of 2006, with 12-14 pilots each month coming on line as well. Who knows where we'll be a month from now, let alone in a year or two!

To be competitive for a job at SATSAir, management is looking for an ATP or ATP mins, ie 1500 hours or more. Out of the first ten pilots onboard, only one had less than 3000 hours---lately, I believe they've started interviewing people with lower times realizing they need to "load the tubes" for the amount of guys/gals they want to hire---I saw a guy today interviewing with 1700 hours, although some of that was already Cirrus time. If you're close, or not even but are interested---don't be discouraged, make the call! Personality and desire to do well in this position are much more important than time in a log book.

I am not involved in the actual hiring process, but I know that I wouldn't be where I'm at in life in people hadn't been willing to lend me a helping hand, so I'm always ready to help anyone who's seriously interested and who I'd like working beside me on the line. I'm happy to answer questions, talk about what I like/dislike about the job and help someone make a decision.

My final thought is simple and purely my personal opinion. We're going to grow, we'll end up in jets and all that hot-sh*t stuff eventually as the Air Taxi concept grows nationally and manufacturers provide aircraft optimized for that type of trade, and a lot of people will enjoy the ride. BUT...if you're one of those people who equate the size of your p***s with the size of your aircraft don't waste your time! This is ultimately a job flying single-engine piston aircraft, albeit the most advanced ones available today, so if you want to be able to brag about your (fill in the blank---max alt, max airspeed, # of pax, range etc) then you should look elsewhere. It's a 4 seat airplane doing 185-190 True and you fly regularly and make $30K+ to start....if you like that idea, come on down! If not, best wishes in whatever you do.

Skip,you pretty much over did it on the other thread, now you are doing it on this one.
In fact you sound downright Desperate and pilots that read both threads are going to know it.That place at GMU(Rhino Aviation/SATSAir)is never going to be a people place as you claim,not with that MGMT.in place,not when pilots simply do not matter at all.

FlyingSkip/ G-force

AerroMatt said:
Glad you started a new thread, Skip. That last one became nothing but a pi$$ing contest between two Sierra-Hotel pilots who's egos were much larger than their d**ks. I wish you guys good fortune.
The guy G-force has ran out of people who will listen to him and he has adopted FlyingSkip as his new friend.Maybe you can find this guy a job so he will move on with his life.

No more arguments---I don't need the drama and I'm not going down that road again. I will just say one thing---I'm not desperate and don't need to be! I get a salary for doing my job, I'm not management and I don't get any type of "finder's fee" for someone coming onboard, so I have absolutely NOTHING to gain by our growth other than the opportunity to work alongside qualified professionals... I started a new thread to get info out that others might appreciate. Period. I don't need the drama, John. Drop it and move on, please. Everybody is really tired of your mess and I for one don't even want to think about you ever again---our meeting was an unfortunate occurence that I don't plan to ever repeat. You don't like Rhino---we get it already! Just leave me alone, spout your Koolaid lines someplace else and have a nice day. Deal?

G-force

FlyingSkip said:
No more arguments---I don't need the drama and I'm not going down that road again. I will just say one thing---I'm not desperate and don't need to be! I get a salary for doing my job, I'm not management and I don't get any type of "finder's fee" for someone coming onboard, so I have absolutely NOTHING to gain by our growth other than the opportunity to work alongside qualified professionals... I started a new thread to get info out that others might appreciate. Period. I don't need the drama, John. Drop it and move on, please. Everybody is really tired of your mess and I for one don't even want to think about you ever again---our meeting was an unfortunate occurence that I don't plan to ever repeat. You don't like Rhino---we get it already! Just leave me alone, spout your Koolaid lines someplace else and have a nice day. Deal?
The guy is like stepping in dog crap it is almost impossible to get rid of him.Good Luck

Last edited:
Skip,

First, thank you for your post - I read it and it seemed pretty thorough. I have a neighbor who's son lives in the South and has roughly 1500 hours and I believe an ATP. He is not looking at the regional route (most of his flight school buddies are apparently underwhelmed) and I think this type of operation would suit him quite well. I know he is a big fan of the Cirrus and the new technology.

Can you tell us more about the type of flying you do? How are your trips selected - are they based on your domicile (do you stay in your area or do can you fly throughout the entire service area)? Let's say as a newhire pilot and you get based at HEF (if that opens). Is it conceivable that you would fly throughout the service area (entire Southern portion of country) or would you be flying mainly to nearby states? How often do your aircraft fly outside your service area (maybe to the Northeast or even Southwest)?

Lastly, how do you like flying the SR22? I see them frequently and I have heard good things about them? Is it an airplane that is comfortable after 5-6 hours of flying in one day? How do you like the new Entegra system?

This sounds like an interesting operation with some good growth opportunities. The fact that you could also order some VLJs in the future should make it even more appealing for those from the regionals who insist on flying jets... That being said, the SR22 looks like a great ride.

SATSAir Openings

Just got off the phone with our CP and thought someone might be interested. We are currently looking for at least one pilot to be domiciled in Birmingham, AL (KBHM) and two to be based out of Manassas, Va (KHEF). Also, anyone interested in being "homebased" out of Greenville, SC (KGMU) should send a resume. GoingHot/FlyingDutchman, he has your resumes but had a family "crisis" with the little woman and didn't get calls made---he said he'd be calling soon...I'll stay on him, just let me know if you don't hear from him soon.

To answer the questions put forward in the last post by On Your Six...

Most, if not all flights are assigned to the nearest plane and/or pilot from the origin of the flight. Depending on availability, this isn't always possible but it's the "optimum" since it cuts down on dead-head costs. Customers only pay for time they're in the airplane, so keeping the deadheads down keeps costs down for the company---pretty simple. However, as far as the flights themselves---the sky is the limit. I'm in BNA tonight after deadheading from MYR to SAV to pick up a guy and then bringing him over here. He has some business tonight and tomorrow AM, and then we go back to SAV---at that point I either go home or stay on the road if something has come up and puts me as the closest airplane. Chances are it won't, but there is always that possibility so you learn to travel with an overnight bag and a flexible schedule! We've had planes go to TX, NH, NY, CT, MA, LA, you name it, although most of our flying right now is centered around our service area (NC, SC, GA, VA, TN, AL, top of FL and to a lesser extent MS and LA).

The majority of our clients are business owners/professionals who need quick travel to get business accomplished. By and large, they love the experience of being able to see/hear what's going on, and they're enthused about the avionics---heck, who isn't?! I've had Hawker XP Captains get excited about the avionics package, so imagine what Joe Blow thinks?! Anyway, most are great guys/gals, I have a nice little side income off the tips I receive (don't tell the IRS!) and they help to make the job worthwhile.

I absolutely love the airplane, Six! It's a blast to fly, plenty of power and an incredible IFR platform, although I hate to risk opening up that whole "SE IFR is stupid" rant again. The seats are beautifully trimmed in leather, incredibly comfortable for the first 3 hours or so, and then the fact that they have honeycomb construction to help attenuate some of the force if you ever land vertically under the parachute makes them a little STIFF!!! But, it's not like we're flying that far in one shot anyway so you have the chance to get out and massage the effected areas!!! The longest I've ever been in the airplane nonstop was 3.5 hours, and I was very happy to step out at the end of it! Also, the fact that the S-Tec 55 a/p handles a lot of the workload makes the flights go a little faster, especially on an IFR day or in busier airspace (DC ADIZ, around ATL, etc).

If your friend is looking for something out of Manassas tell him to call the number on the website ASAP and see what they tell him---we're getting slammed on flights out of there and we've been supporting them out of NC and Southern VA so we definitely want to get some people in place around that area.

Any other questions or concerns let me know---I could have PMed this I guess, but I thought others might appreciate the information as well. If not, flame on!

FlyingSkip said:
Just got off the phone with our CP and thought someone might be interested. We are currently looking for at least one pilot to be domiciled in Birmingham, AL (KBHM) and two to be based out of Manassas, Va (KHEF). Also, anyone interested in being "homebased" out of Greenville, SC (KGMU) should send a resume. GoingHot/FlyingDutchman, he has your resumes but had a family "crisis" with the little woman and didn't get calls made---he said he'd be calling soon...I'll stay on him, just let me know if you don't hear from him soon.

To answer the questions put forward in the last post by On Your Six...

Most, if not all flights are assigned to the nearest plane and/or pilot from the origin of the flight. Depending on availability, this isn't always possible but it's the "optimum" since it cuts down on dead-head costs. Customers only pay for time they're in the airplane, so keeping the deadheads down keeps costs down for the company---pretty simple. However, as far as the flights themselves---the sky is the limit. I'm in BNA tonight after deadheading from MYR to SAV to pick up a guy and then bringing him over here. He has some business tonight and tomorrow AM, and then we go back to SAV---at that point I either go home or stay on the road if something has come up and puts me as the closest airplane. Chances are it won't, but there is always that possibility so you learn to travel with an overnight bag and a flexible schedule! We've had planes go to TX, NH, NY, CT, MA, LA, you name it, although most of our flying right now is centered around our service area (NC, SC, GA, VA, TN, AL, top of FL and to a lesser extent MS and LA).

The majority of our clients are business owners/professionals who need quick travel to get business accomplished. By and large, they love the experience of being able to see/hear what's going on, and they're enthused about the avionics---heck, who isn't?! I've had Hawker XP Captains get excited about the avionics package, so imagine what Joe Blow thinks?! Anyway, most are great guys/gals, I have a nice little side income off the tips I receive (don't tell the IRS!) and they help to make the job worthwhile.

I absolutely love the airplane, Six! It's a blast to fly, plenty of power and an incredible IFR platform, although I hate to risk opening up that whole "SE IFR is stupid" rant again. The seats are beautifully trimmed in leather, incredibly comfortable for the first 3 hours or so, and then the fact that they have honeycomb construction to help attenuate some of the force if you ever land vertically under the parachute makes them a little STIFF!!! But, it's not like we're flying that far in one shot anyway so you have the chance to get out and massage the effected areas!!! The longest I've ever been in the airplane nonstop was 3.5 hours, and I was very happy to step out at the end of it! Also, the fact that the S-Tec 55 a/p handles a lot of the workload makes the flights go a little faster, especially on an IFR day or in busier airspace (DC ADIZ, around ATL, etc).

If your friend is looking for something out of Manassas tell him to call the number on the website ASAP and see what they tell him---we're getting slammed on flights out of there and we've been supporting them out of NC and Southern VA so we definitely want to get some people in place around that area.

Any other questions or concerns let me know---I could have PMed this I guess, but I thought others might appreciate the information as well. If not, flame on!

Thanks Skip for the great second post. I'll contact my neighbor and share this information with him. Frankly it sounds like an interesting operation with some good growth potential. I've always been impressed with those Cirrus airplanes as well.

Latest resources

Back