• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Russian Pilot Supply

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My understanding was that they wanted experienced captains...??? Or at least that was what a crew from Aeroflot was telling us about during breakfast in Hong Kong the other day.

My understanding was that they wanted experienced captains...??? Or at least that was what a crew from Aeroflot was telling us about during breakfast in Hong Kong the other day.

Seems this policy change has been under consideration for a while. Must be a sign of change on the supply side ? I've seen some ads from Russia but IIRC they weren't for air carrier and understandably specified Russian nationals.

I don't recall any factual info about the nuts & bolts of the Russian airline biz.

From ages ago, I think I remember reading an article about Aeroflot pilots driving cabs on days off to make ends meet...maybe from ALPA Magazine ? Don't bet any money on what I remember at this point. :D

When this policy change goes into effect, the advertised money should be interesting. The expat market seems to be competitive in spots. :cool:

, I think I remember reading an article about Aeroflot pilots driving cabs on days off to make ends meet...maybe from ALPA Magazine ? Don't bet any money on what I remember at this point. :D

When this policy change goes into effect, the advertised money should be interesting. The expat market seems to be competitive in spots. :cool:

Salaries have been on a steady increase in Russia (and for Chinese pilots as well) for the last 8-10 years, along with their new found wealth and the decreased pilot output of the military, combined with a brain drain of Russian pilots leaving for expat jobs, all of a sudden the market has gone from mig pilots a dime a dozen to "who will fly all these airplanes we have ordered?" It's a good thing I guess.

Industry says it needs 1500 flying jobs per year. Local schools graduate 160-200. Some ex-army boys were available as the Air force was shrinking, but now all reserves are gone and traffic still goes up. I have few foreign friends (Dutch, German, Brits) working in Moscow last 15 years, they know more Russian f-words than I do . Mentality is very close so we blend easy into each other's culture.

A Russian pilot posted this comment on another web board, pretty interesting to see how this expatriate contract will be implemented, particularly curious about the T&C'S.......??

...pretty interesting to see how this expatriate contract will be implemented, particularly curious about the T&C'S.......??

Well, it all seems to be a sign of some changes happening there. Should be fun to watch.

I can't speak of other Russian carriers, but I'd consider it a great honor to fly for Aeroflot, especially since I speak all the Russian in the world.

Interesting story. Fake licenses ? Sorta/kinda related to using expats in Russia ?:

"Russia has one of the world's worst air-crash records. Western and Russian air-Industry officials have blamed poor regulation and a shortage of qualified pilots as among the causes for the country's poor air-safety record."

http://online.barrons.com/article/S...41940091634618.html?mod=BOL_article_full_more

OK, that link won't let you see the full article. Try this. You'll get the idea:

"Russia began to experience a severe shortage of flight personnel in recent years as veteran crew retired..."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=249211680

Last edited:
...........double post...sorry.:blush:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back