Rumor re: NJA domiciles

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SAEflyer said:
I was in a class about 7 months ago of about 30 people. Although about 20 of those were from Independence, I would say that 28 if not more of the pilots in my class had considerable jet experience as well as pic jet. Seemed like a very experienced group including retired Delta and Northwest. That, however, is only one class so i'm not sure what kind of guys they are hiring now.

PHI ALPLA!!!

NightHauler said:
A "higher percentage of new hires are having trouble" is a comment that doesn't really paint the whole picture.

Never in the history of NJA has there been hiring at these proportions for this long of a period, so it is only to be expected that the number of "issues" we have increases.

If you do the math, and look at the checkride issues for new hires or IOE issues, you will find that they are hardly any worse than in the past, in fact are probably much better.

I can count on on hand the number of new hires since Jan 2006 that have "washed" out.

I agree 100% with what you're saying....but just to clarify, in my previous post I wasn't stating that we've experienced an increased number of pilots who have washed out. Like I said in the post, the information I've received from individuals in the training department (IPs, IOE captains, etc) is that the PERCENTAGE of pilots having difficulty in various stages of the training process has gone up over the last 6 months. The training dept closely tracks the percentage of people requiring additional training, and the figure I've often heard to be the "norm" is somewhere around 15% (of the new hires who need extra training). Apparently this percentage has climbed over the last few months (granted, this may be due to other factors not directly related to the quality of the new hires - for example, it could be a tightening by FSI).

As we all know, it's really hard to wash out here at NetJets - you more or less get 3 attempts to "get it right" before they kick you to the curb. On top of that, FSI is known for being soft on initials.

Yes, as we continue to hire at the level we have over the last 6 months, the number of pilots having problems will clearly rise...but if it's true that the percentage of these pilots is also rising, then I think it's something to keep an eye on.

The recent (and ongoing) improvements to the training process, spearheaded by the Union Training Committee, will improve the quality of the training at NetJets and will also allow for us to better monitor the progress of the new hires as they exit FSI. When these changes fully take form, I think we'll then have a better idea of what type of candidate we're attracting to NJA.

Whatever the case, it sounds like it was all a bad rumor anyway!

Last edited:
I know some problems folks from the RJ ranks have had and that's doing all your sim flying from the left seat for your type. Some of these guys have been bouncing around the regional ranks for years and years without an upgrade and haven't flown left seat since before they were flight instructors. Not saying that they can't get flying with the other hand but with just four sessions before your type ride in some airplanes, its kind of hard to get the control touch.

WrknStff said:
I know some problems folks from the RJ ranks have had and that's doing all your sim flying from the left seat for your type. Some of these guys have been bouncing around the regional ranks for years and years without an upgrade and haven't flown left seat since before they were flight instructors. Not saying that they can't get flying with the other hand but with just four sessions before your type ride in some airplanes, its kind of hard to get the control touch.

Why is that?

NJApilot said:
The recent (and ongoing) improvements to the training process, spearheaded by the Union Training Committee, will improve the quality of the training at NetJets and will also allow for us to better monitor the progress of the new hires as they exit FSI. When these changes fully take form, I think we'll then have a better idea of what type of candidate we're attracting to NJA.

Whatever the case, it sounds like it was all a bad rumor anyway!

Maybe the fact that we make out newhires wait 3-6 months before they get in the airplane after FSI is a factor???

Waco

Raskal said:
Frankly, after the vast contract improvements, the domicile issue is now the only one that keeps me from applying there. I hope it changes.

SEE?!! Yet another well qualified (not so much TT but has several tyes by the looks of things), probably good guy to work here that won't. I know more people who I'd love to get on here that won't take it for the very same reason....a shame.

Last edited:
Wacopilot said:
Maybe the fact that we make out newhires wait 3-6 months before they get in the airplane after FSI is a factor???

Waco

That's a possibility, although it won't be a factor for much longer. Once the new changes to NJA training begin to take effect (within the next couple of months), the typical 3-6 month break before actually flying the plane should (in theory) evaporate. Initial newhires, as well as those who bid to another fleet, will soon go from the sim checkride straight to LOFT (basically like we do now, although the LOFTs will be conducted by NJA instructors - and the sessions themselves will become much more line-oriented). Then, after completion of LOFT and more than likely a couple of weeks off (give or take a few), the trainees will be sent straight to the line to commence IOE. The days of attending 3 days of training in CMH before IOE are coming to a close.

To all of those that complained about the 4-6 month paid vacation they received before starting IOE, your wish is granted!

Latest resources

Back