RSW Approach Control question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JJthejetplane

Flying into RSW the other day, we had a conversation similar to the following and was wondering if there is a logical explanation for not providing a simple answer to our question, but instead turning the question into a long, drawn-out ordeal. The winds were 130/10.

Me: Approach, flight XXX, five thousand for three thousand, information Mike.
Apprch: Roger, XXX
Me: Still landing runway six?
Apprch: Information Mike is current
Me: Yes sir, we have Mike. Is runway six still in use?
Apprch: Do you have information Mike?
Me: Yes, we have information Mike?
Apprch: I am not sure what you are asking?
me: We are asking if you are still using runway six.
Apprch: Pick up ATIS for that information.

I am confused why they didn't just say affirmative or negative? Every other airport gives you the approach and runway when checking in with approach, but this type of behavior has happened at RSW a couple of times. Just curious why they refuse to give that information, even when asked.

Flying into RSW the other day, we had a conversation similar to the following and was wondering if there is a logical explanation for not providing a simple answer to our question, but instead turning the question into a long, drawn-out ordeal. The winds were 130/10.

Me: Approach, flight XXX, five thousand for three thousand, information Mike.
Apprch: Roger, XXX
Me: Still landing runway six?
Apprch: Information Mike is current
Me: Yes sir, we have Mike. Is runway six still in use?
Apprch: Do you have information Mike?
Me: Yes, we have information Mike?
Apprch: I am not sure what you are asking?
me: We are asking if you are still using runway six.
Apprch: Pick up ATIS for that information.

I am confused why they didn't just say affirmative or negative? Every other airport gives you the approach and runway when checking in with approach, but this type of behavior has happened at RSW a couple of times. Just curious why they refuse to give that information, even when asked.

Next time tell ATC - unable to pick up ATIS. Then he has to answer your simple question!

Metrojet

I agree, but why would you think they would change to a runway that the winds are not favoring?

I have had the displeasure of flying in and out of there this month...they are clowns. Strange vectors, LONG downwinds, a moronic, unnecessary RNAV departure. They will spend an hour on the radio with a Cessna passing through while you are trying to break in. FWIW, I believe they are a training facility.

J ...Apprch: I am not sure what you are asking? me: We are asking if you are still using runway six. Apprch: Pick up ATIS for that information... [/QUOTE said:
Anytime you get this line of BS just ask the following;

You: "Verify that you are refusing to provide (fill in e.g. runway, wind etc...) for N____"

This puts all the onnous and legality on and against the controller...

Of course, sometimes the ATIS is wrong and it takes the pilots to fix the situation. I was at an airport recently ( not RSW) where the ATIS advertised winds as 190 at 10, using Runway 24. You only had to look at a windsock to see they had shifted. Three pilots refused to take off on Runway 24; new ATIS came out with winds 050 at 12.

Perhaps the question to ask at RSW would have been: "Wind check". If he says "240 at a bunch", you follow that up with "are you switching to Runway 24?" If he refuses to give you a wind check, you have a big complaint.

Latest resources

Back