Round robin IAP's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Latko

I'm a little vague on how to file IFR approaches to multiple airports (round robin). Say for example that I want to fly and do low approaches at airports A, B, and C. When filing this, how exactly do you do it? I'm talking about doing a low approach at airport A, then doing one at airport B, and then doing the final one at my home base with a full stop landing (airport C).
Do you have to file three separate flight plans with the time, fuel, etc. to get to each airport or do you file all three on the same flight plan with the total fuel, time, etc. to do all of them?
I appreciate the help.

Flight Plans

I'm assuming you mean airports in three separate Class Bs or Cs. I remember filing three separate flight plans and having to pick up three separate clearances. Of course, you would receive your clearance to the first airport on the ground. Then, as you are nearing that airport you would tell ATC you want to request your clearance to the second airport. ATC will put your clearance "on request," just as you would hear from Ground or Clearance Delivery. Then, at some point, ATC will say something like, "Cessna 12345, clearance." And you will copy it in flight and read it back. And so on to your third airport.

You file all three flight plans at once with FSS on the ground. I guess you could file flight plans 2 and 3 in flight with FSS or ATC. Filing in flight would increase the pilot workload unnecessarily, but is good training and worth doing once or twice to get the experience and know that you can do it.

Now, if you're remaining in the same terminal airspace you can file from and to your airport and state "multiple practice approaches" in the Remarks section of your flight plan. For that matter, try calling the TRACON or RAPCON on the phone and explain what you want to do. Chances are they'll accept your request without you having to file and will tell you to put your clearance on request when you're ready to go. That's a keen little trick you can tell your Instrument students AFTER they earn their rating. ;)

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
What I do up here in the Pac NW is to file for the first airport you want to do an approach at in the destination section and then put 'multiple approaches' in the comment section of the flight plan form.

The controller then asks me what all of my approach requests are (ie, LOC airport A to missed, ILS airport B missed, VOR to home base full stop).

We are flying near the PDX class C so the controllers usually aren't completely flooded with traffic. I don't know if they would be less receptive to this idea if you are flying in Class B or not.

Fly safe!

All good ideas and practices, just another tidbit:

While training in the ATL area, we would file each leg seperately, then the approach controller or low altitude center guy would ask if we we ready for the next leg. Sometimes we would be under the radar (like at Rome, GA) and they would give us a squawk, altitude and a heading to enter controlled airspace on. After the miss then they would give us the clearance to the next place.

An important point - You are responsible for terrain clearance until the first VECTOR. Just them saying, "Radar Contact" does not shift the responsibility to them. (AIM 5-2-6(b)(7)). Important everywhere, but especially in the hilly country. So if the heading they say to fly isn't right, tell them.

Last edited:
Latko,

all the replys were good. I strongly recommend calling your local TRACON or center and asking them how they would like to have you do it. In the Houston area if you try to just file and do practice approaches without getting permission you run the risk of getting ignored or turned down all together. I have sat at the end of my runway waiting for that IFR release for over 15 minutes while they were busy with a departure push. I only needed to do that once before I learned to call them and let them know I was coming and find out it they would even allow it. If you are on an IFR cross-country then you can always file three, or one. Once you are in the air you can let center/approach know what your plan is. No matter how you do it you won't always get it right for every controller.

Experience is the best teacher, yours and others. Know the rules and go try it.

Speedtree

Oh yeah I forgot. I usually file the airport of final destination which in this case is the airport you are taking off from. So you would be leaving airport A with a final destination of airport A with a routing via the other airports you wish to visit for approaches. You can usually change your plans enroute with the controller to some extent. This way you can always come back to your home airport if you lose radio contact as well. (if you are in the soup)

speedtree

In the Houston area, FSS won't allow you to file a round robin or multiple apchs in the area without prior approval from the TRACON. Call first, ask nicely, and they'll usually do about whatever you want. As for single or multiple plans on a local round robin, around here it just depends on who you get when you call. Most want multiple plans in my experience.

In the system, once you're handed off on an approach, the system drops you. If you come up missed, ATC actually treats you as a pop-up. For filing to shoot approaches at several airports on a trip, you should open a new flight plan for each leg. If you intend to land, you must open a new flight plan for each leg.

Latest resources

Back