RJDC Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Draginass said:
Don't the regional's contracts have their own negotiated scope clauses -- e.g. all flying done by the company be done by pilots under their contract provisions and their seniority list??

Yes, to all of the above and that is precisely why this is such a travesty. The labor union that just negotiated this USAir piece, it the very same labor union that negotiated all the provisions you mentioned in the contracts of the regional airline pilots.

In fact, it cannot be implemented unless the regional carrier that is going to hire these USAir pilots, get's its pilot groups to modify their contracts to permit it. Ironically, there own union is already pressuring them to do just that and telling them what a "good deal" it is for them because they will get "more jets".

The union is actively representing the interests of the mainline pilots at the deliberate expense of the regional pilots who are members of the union. That action violates a number of things.

This is exactly what the RJDC is suing about. You and other mainline pilots have been trying to twist the RJDC lawsuit into some sort of attempt to force integration of the seniority lists in support of your own political stance. That's your spin. Well, your spin is wrong. The lawsuit intends to force the union to adhere to its Duty of Fair Representation, which is Federal Law.

What are you worried about? If the company tried to insert pilots out of seniority and at rates not in accordance with the contract provisions . . . . grieve it, sue 'em, etc etc. Seems to me it would be a clear violation of your contract.

What am I worried about? You're unbelievable at times. Aren't you from a pilot group that cost your airline millions of dollars and yourselves a 45 million dollar fine because you didn't agree with how the Company wanted to handle the Reno integration? How come you didn't grieve it?

What's even worse, is that this is being done by the ALPA to regional member pilots of the ALPA. Who's going to greive it for us? The same union that's doing it to us? It's not the Company doing this, it's the union!

Potomac Air is more problematical. How do your scope provisions prevent that?

Preblematical? Congratulations, you've won the understatement award. Yes, the scope provisions of ALG and PDT (maybe PSA) prohibit the formation of Potomac. When it was originally created, as a part of the failed UAL/AAA merger, those airlines grieved it. Potomac was shut down before the grievance was settled and so it became moot. Now, the same union that was greiving it, has signed an LOA that would allow it to revive, in direct violation of the contracts of the wholly owned regionals at USAir Group.

Once again, ALPA represents the mainline pilot while failing to represent the regional pilot.

From what I hear, the regional pilots at ALG, PDT, PSA (who opposed the RJDC as radical) have now retained the same attorney that represents the RJDC, to defend their interests against ALPA.

Keep your head it the sand long enough and someone will kick your butt or worse. It is time regional pilots force this union to do what the law requires, i.e., represent them.

surplus1 said:

It is time regional pilots force this union to do what the law requires, i.e., represent them.

If you and your RJDC comrades feel so strongly, why not just break off from ALPA and form your own union to correct these terrible injustices bestowed on you?

You insinuate that there are an army of guys supporting your cause, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Re: Point for Surplus 1

enigma said:
Surplus 1.
Your point is very well made. Thank you for your input. I observe this battle from the sidelines because my carrier doesn't have a regional partner, so my opinion doesn't really count; I've even given up reading most of the posts dealing with the matter, but your posts really adds perspective. Now if the RJDC would just replace the word JETS in its title with the word PILOTS.
regards
8N

Lets see, DC9's in the profile but no regional partner. Spirit maybe?

Thanks for your thoughts but I don't agree that the RJDC should change its name. If there were no RJs, ALPA would not be doing what it is. The agenda of the ALPA is intent on stopping the RJ. So intent that ALPA is willing to violate its own rules and its DFR to the regional pilots in order to pursue that agenda. The name is not misplaced.

The purpose of the litigation is to force the union to carry out its duty of fair representation to ALL its members. Not just to mainline pilots. In my opinion that duty has been violated already and continues to be violated over and over again. It has to stop.

Mainline pilots would do well to stop trying to "spin" the reasons for the litigation into a campaign that serves their interest at the expense of the rest of us. They have accused the RJDC of doing everything under the sun, while deliberately refuseing to acknowledge what they know it is really trying to do.

Why? Simple; the agenda of ALPA is what it is because that agenda is set exclusively by mainline pilots. They know that what they are doing is wrong, but they want to do it anyway. The RJDC is to date the only voice with the courage to say NO.

Regional pilots need to get there heads out of the sand too and support the effort to defend their rights.

quote:
Originally posted by Boeingman

If you and your RJDC comrades feel so strongly, why not just break off from ALPA and form your own union to correct these terrible injustices bestowed on you?

You insinuate that there are an army of guys supporting your cause, so it shouldn't be a problem

That's exactly the problem. There is no "army of guys" supporting their cause. Just an extremely vocal few attempting to use the courts to gain what they could never gain on their own.

Boeingman said:

You insinuate that there are an army of guys supporting your cause, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Leaving the union would not be much of a problem in the mechanics. That's not the answer.

Leaving the union would correct nothing. I would simply leave it to continue to do what it shouldn't be doing.

Running off to Canada because you didn't agree with a senseless war was not a good course of action either. Same difference.

trainerjet said:
Just an extremely vocal few attempting to use the courts to gain what they could never gain on their own.

So, just what is it that you think we're trying to gain that we can't get on our own? Would it be a "mainline job" by any chance?

If you really think that obtaining fair representation is evil, I feel sorry for you.

If you feel that your own propaganda about what we supposedly want is real, have the courage of your convictions and don't hide them behind inuendo.

It seems awfully interesting to me that Duane Woerth feels that Freedom Air is a Frank Lorenzo type operation, but he seems to have no problem with Potomac Air. If anyone feels this is fair and legal, please enlighten me as to why. I think it only depends on who gets hurt.

I guess the only difference between Freedom Air and Potomac is:

Potomac will be represented by ALPA and

Freedom Air won't!

That's a pretty big difference.

Scope is dead, along with any airline that lets these mainline clowns run their business.

Have a nice day:rolleyes:

No, not really the case here. Granted, it seems that being on furlough is a lofty career goal for myself, and ultimatlely coming back to a job flying RJ's for $50 an hour, through a scam set up by my union brothers to destroy careers of those at the regionals, I think that I'll try anyway. Ok with you?

Latest resources

Back