• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RJ Training NightmareJust finished up RJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stupid instructor tricks (apologies to Letterman)

Yes, it was stupid, but what was the point he was trying to prove? And was this in a MOA or something or in the PCA (Class A)? Did ATC say anything? I would have filed a NASA report if I were you. I don't believe that NASA reports are limited to civilian pilots.

Did his boss ding him? He should have.

You guys would freak in our sim sessions. The instructor will intentionally give you clearances that are contrary to a given SID or STAR, they want to see you bust, to prove a point.They will give you vectors below the MVA, etc. etc. On my initial preflight on the 727 as a captain I found 36 "dimes", by the time you get to the end of the runway you are ready to go home. Our averge checkride for a PC last 4.0 hours. The 737 isn't as bad but it will be getting worse, our CP and DOS just got checked out and they are staying up late at night figuring out how to stump us. Oh to only be at the controls of the sim when they are doing their PC's.
That would be fun......I forgot after my initial 727 captain check the debrief was 45 minutes long with 50 items. Then the check captain said but all this is just little stuff, overall you did a great job-you passed. I am not military but all of these guys are Air Force academy grads and big time ring knockers. But it is fun to hang in there and at least get a grunt of approval once in a while.
I must say that after all the bs they are very fair, otherwise we wouldn't have any pilot's.

TurboS7, just out of curiosity, how would one know if they were given a vector below the Min Vector Atl, (MVA)? As far as I know that isn't published on charts, only the controllers know what it is. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Keep the Cyan side up!

You don't, but if they give you a vector below the MSA they want you to question it. If you are flying south to SCL(Santiago, Chile) they will clear you to decent to 6000 feet 150 miles out. What they really mean is you are cleared to decend via the MEA's to 6000. Since there is a 12000 foot mountain between you and your 150 mile point if you went right to 6000 that would hurt. They want to make sure your SA is where it should be.

DairyAir, I am going to possibly make an ass out of you and me but I am assuming you work at Air Willy. My training on the Dork was quite different. I was actually disapointed by how easy it was. Was your instructor in the sim an ex-Laker with a major attitude problem? Of course we were a bit too laid back one night out in GJT. Did you know that the hold is published at 10,000 and that those blinky red lights in the cockpit windows are not master warnings? Doh...

thanks everyone

I just wanted to thank al you folks for your insight into my little event the other day. One always wonders whether or not they did the right thing when handling a situation like this.

I am no stranger to taining of this sort. I hold several type ratings and have been flying professionally for many years and this is the first time I have had any difficulties with an instructor. That day in the sim may have just been a fluke, who knows, however I believe that my partner and I handled it correctly, and would probably do the same thing if it happens again though I doubt that it will happen a second time. I know instructors need to be demanding of their students but there is a point where the instructor should be able to realize that any further training, with regard to that particular session, will do more to hurt the students ability and confidence in themselves. I know I learned an important lesson in alll of this this and I hope that the instructor learned a little something as well.

As the quote goes: The student does not fail, the instructor does.

Again thanks for all of the input.
D.A.

I am sorry you had that experience. I have been fortunate that all of my training and instructors have been very pleasant. Even my checkrides with the FEDS have been pleasant. You can have a demanding training program without being abused.

As far as hitting you with a clipboard, that is totally unacceptable. If you were doing so bad as to be unsat. You should be simply told what your weaknesses are and told how to correct the problem areas or sent home.

You are never required to allow other pilots or anyone else for that matter to place their hands on you. It sounds like you did a good job toughing it out.

I hope this type of training experience never happens to you again.

Latest resources

Back