RJ Training NightmareJust finished up RJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DairyAir

Just finished up RJ training and wanted to get some opinions about a problem that came during the simulator portion.

First of all the compny gave me and my sim partner three different sim times, 2 at 2000 till 2400 then one day off, 4 at 0400 till 0800 then one day off, then 2 sessions at 0800 till 1200
Needless to say my body clock was completely out of whack at the end of the 0400 to 0800 sessions.

Next we had three different instructors with three very different approaches to instructing.

On our first session with our last instructor also the first session at 0800 to 1200 the instructor was very demanding, yelled at me and my partner. Made us feel like total idiots whenever we did something wrong. Asked us questions like Have you ever made a V1 cut before, ( in a very sarcastic tone.) Also kept hitting me in the shoulder with a notebook while saying that is not the F#$*ing way you should do that. And then proceeded to threaten me when I wanted to end the training session. I undid my seat belt and said I was exhausted, and that this lesson was only hurting the progress we had made before this lesson. The instructor told me in a very threatening tone that if I dared to get out of that seat they would end the whole traing and call the chief pilot balh blah blah.

Needless to say my partner and I were taken aback by the event. With the changing times I had gotten only about three hours sleep in the last thirty and had the intellectual ability of a cantaloupe. The instructor was aware of this but continued to berate us regardless. Our performance during the ride was to say the least horrific. Which for us was a shock because our previous instructor said our progress was far beyond what was reguired by the syllabus at that particular lesson.

The debrief was about the same as the sim and on getting back to the hotel we decided to report this incident to the training committe at the Union. Calls were made to the Fleet Manager and he grilled the instructor and eventually it was resolved. We passed our checkrides and that is that

my question to you folks is what would you have done being put in our situation. The union tells us if we have any problems call them first to get it on record and proceed form there.

Any Thoughts

well....

I've had some somewhat similar experiences from time to time. I've always felt too intimidated to walk away from the sim...instructors like that have a way of making you look bad and making you believe it was all your fault. Later, with a clearer head, you realize you should have done something more drastic and not taken their crap. I think you did the right thing by talking to the union....glad things worked out in the end. For long term training...we have the ability to switch instructors, once, with no questions asked. All I can say is....thank God for unions......

Well, you can't complain about the hours, everyone gets screwed with the sim schedule. It would upset me though if I had instructors switch on me, much less switch more than once. Luckily, I had the same instructor throughout the training, and there were those times that every other word was F**K. But, sometimes it grills a point in your head, and when your on that initial sim check and you are about to make that same mistake you have done dozens of time, you'll think F**K right before you do it. I know some instructors are idiots and act like they are literally in the plane, on final, with both engines on fire and a sick passener in the back, and then a dual generator failure occurs. Take it for what it's worth......good attitudes will always make it through.

Welcome to the club just sounds like normal 121 sim training to me, you must've messed up that V1 cut pretty bad to get a clipboard slam on your shoulder, usually it is just a newspaper.Just kidding.

Last edited:
Wow!

Yeah, you did the right thing. I have never had anything like that happen to me, maybe I have been fortunate. Seems to me that the instructors are supposed to be setting an example, etc. Glad it worked out for you, it's not always like that. Most of the time they are very helpful and patient (to a point). Not sure where you work-but sounds like they need a tune-up. The times are horrible. Yeah, everyone gets screwed around a bit, but that was ridiculous. Just be happy you did the right thing and take it as a lesson of how not to be.

Cheers...

Sim "training"

I've had plenty of students whom, I felt, had the intelligence, and motivation, of cantaloupes even when fully rested and alert. Some of these folks, I must say, deserved the classic upside-head smack. Just the same, they warranted and deserved respect and that's what they always received from me, bar none. That's what you and your flight partner deserved, especially considering that you are professional pilots who fly the line, and who obviously have enough seniority to hold the RJ.

Absent the thought that perhaps this individual had a hardon for you guys, you did the right thing by following procedure. You could have been cowboys and try to deal with it your way. Both of you should consider yourself fortunate that you have an ombudsman function in your union. There are plenty of people who take upgrade training in aviation, as well as other industries, who have no one to go to when suffering an unreasonable training person.

Good luck with flying the RJ. There are plenty of folks out there who'd like to be with you.

Last edited:
TurboS7 said:
Welcome to the club just sounds like normal 121 sim training to me, you must've messed up that V1 cut pretty bad to get a clipboard slam on your shoulder, usually it is just a newspaper.

Maybe at some regionals, but it's pretty laid back most other places. At least that's what my experience was at a major, and my friends who are at National's, Charter companies have told me that their experiences at those companies were similar to mine. Not necessarily easy, but the people were laid back. That said, I can relate to the "club," because I've been there at regional as well.

Usually the newspaper on the shoulder has a smile and a joke with it. I've been in good and bad sim situations, my first was the worst and my last the best. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it all-who knows.

My training at the four regionals I've worked for has always been excellent. We have one examiner at my current company that nobody likes, but he isn't as bad as the one you had. I would have wanted to leave as well. Like the man said, thank God for unions.

Stupid Instructor!

Hi!

What do you think of this?

While in the military, I had one instructor who didn't do very well-I think it was largely due to inexperience.

My 1st and worst problem with him was this:

While on an IFR flight plan/clearance, and under Radar control, he INTENTIONALLY busted his cleared altitude by something like 2500' (or more!) to try and prove a point.

I thought it was very stupid and it pissed me off!

After more problems, my stick buddy and I eventually got a new instructor.

Cliff

Latest resources

Back