• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Returning to Fying.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Read my posts on career changing. Nevertheless, as cynical as I am about trying to forge an aviation career at an advanced age, I believe that it can be done on some level in your thirties if all falls into place, i.e. you're lucky. Other than that, I second Timebuilder's comments, and especially those about age discrimination in airline hiring.

In fact, for the high school folks reading the board, if you want to be a pilot, act on it immediately. Take all the math, science, including physiology, chem and physics, and English and speech that you can. You need English so that you will speak and write professionally and not sound like a moron. Investigate all opportunities, including starting on your Private while in high school, colleges with or without flight programs, military, and commercial schools. Sure wish I had started earlier!

Last edited:
If anyone has a link to a live ATC broadcast I would appreciate the listing.

I did a search but nothing came up...will try a more detailed search.

http://www.phl.org/

Under the logo, I clicked "frames", the went to the pull down menu on the upper right. I could have clicked the button on the left, though. You have a choice of opening the feed in RealPlayer or your browser window.

hmm...I thought you meant you could listen to atc.....sorry.

Thanks for the link though.

Aero99-

Apparently, the system is down at the PHL website. When it works, you see webcam video and hear the tower.

Gotcha.

Found a link to DFW....downloading Realone player now....would have thought my XP would have had that already....that was the problem.

thanks again.

http://www.aea200.ea.faa.gov/ea01/atc.htm

has DFW, miami, Denver, Chicago etc if anyone else is interested.

Ok you guys, by older gentleman, I meant older than the other 4 instructors I've flown with at various times in my life. I'll take the wisdom and the calm of a 55 year old guy over the cockiness of a 25 year old guy any day of the week.

Skydiverdriver, it's neat that you liked instructing. From where I sit now, though, it doesn't sound that appealing and I'm not sure why. Maybe because the student gets to have all the fun? Maybe because I feel like I won't be learning when there is still plenty to learn? If I get that far, I see it as a stepping stone.

I meantime, I have bigger fish to fry, namely my crosscountry work. Actually, next couple of flights will be solo to work proficiency on s-turns, slow-flight, stalls, steep turns, etc, next dual time will be the duall CC. Instructor is also on my ass to get the written out of the way. I feel like I am sort of hapharzardly preparing for it, but I'm using the Internet tests as a baseline. All of that is enough to preoccupy me without worrying about a paycut.

Flying 2 or 3 times per week right now, so I could be done in a couple of months if all goes well.

Re: The career considerations, I'm surprised some of you advised 31 is a little late, but I can see where that might be the case. Heck, I don't even have any kids yet. The wife is an engineer too, and we do ok, so I'll continue to fund the hours myself so long as I enjoy it and just watch for the off chance that something will come up.

I've seen the webcasts and sometimes listen to DFW. I'll check out the others. I'm also looking for any tapes you suggest that I can listen to while on my 2 hours of commuting.

Thank you again for all of your advice.

Private written

Do yourself a favor and get the written out of the way. Even if you just watch John and Martha or memorize the ASA book you'll gain knowledge that'll help your flying.

I remember when I was working on my Private I was flying and was having a great time. I was getting near the end and I had not taken the written. My instructor forbade me from flying until I had taken the written. It might have set me back a bit.

Once again, good luck with your training and plans.

Latest resources

Back