Reserve at ATA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MesaScott

What type of reserve system does ATA use? Is it a two hour call-out...or do they have a longer call-out? Also what does a typical schedule look like for a junior pilot on reserve?

Thanks to anyone that has some insight.

ATA currently uses two levels of reserve. Reserve "A" is a two hour call-out, while Reserve "B" is a twelve hour call-out. A reserve line is initially built with twelve days off and the remaing 18 or 19 days as reserve B. However, the company can "upgrade" the reserve B days to reserve A virtually at will, so you can expect to be at your base, or at least two hours from it, most of the time you're on reserve. The days off come in one, two, or three blocks during the month, with a minimum of three days per block. So you could have three blocks consisting of 3, 4, and 5 days off or one block of 12 days off or something in between.

If you are on one of the airplanes that operate scheduled service (i.e. the 737 and 757 in MDW and IND) you'll get a nine hour "rest period" during each of your reserve days. This is assigned at the whim of the schedulers, thus your rest period could be three in the afternoon to midnight. If you're fortunate to fly the TriStar, you'll be on call 24 hours a day, as all the L1011 flying is "supplemental", and not subject to FAA scheduleld service rest requirements.

This month I have had 13 out of a possible 19 days of reserve B upgraded to reserve A. However, I have only been called out to fly one four day trip, making this the best part-time job I've ever had. Unfortunately, ATA pays me like it's a part-time job.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. Of course all of this may change in the next contract. Bottom line, is that if you commute to sit reserve, it'll s*ck. I did that for a while. Now I live within two hours of my base and my quality of life is good. Now did I mention the shortcomings of my paycheck?

Congrats on the interview. Get the job and you can experience all of this fun for yourself.

Good luck,
Brad

I was a little off on the makeup of the blocks of off days. From our contract:

a single block of 12 days off, or

10 and 2

9 and 3

8 and 4

7 and 5

6 and 6

5 and 4 and 3

Clear as mud, right?

Good luck again,
Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the reply. How many PFE's are still furloughed and of those, how many of them have the squares filled to come back to a pilot position?

Also, what kind of seat locks are in place? Can a new hire fly the 737 for a while and then jump over to the L-1011 or 757?

Thanks,
Scott

MesaScott:
Currently there is a one year seat lock for new hires, no matter what equipment they are on. After your one year is up, you can go to whatever plane/base you can hold. There is some talk that some of the new hires will be going to the L-10, in addition to the 737-800 (Bullwinkle jet). In these new hire classes, there will be some recalled PFEs who have the FO requirements, but my totally uneducated guess is that when all is said and done, probably no more than 50 PFEs will go and get the time and certificates to upgrade.

Seniority in new hire class???

How does ATA determine seniority in a new hire class? Does it go by age, social, or some other method? Thanks.

Pickle,

Does ATA pick up the tab for the hotel while you are in training? I thought that a few years back , they did not...but I was hoping that had changed. Also...what do you get paid while in training?

Scott

The company does pay for hotel rooms while in training. Pay while in training is the same as it is after training; seventy-five hour guarantee at first year rate, which is about $32 an hour. Hopefully that will be substantially more soon.

Good luck,
Brad

Latest resources

Back