Requiring Dispatch Cert for Flight Following positions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Orville Wrong

Admittedly I've been out of the Dispatch game for quite a while, but I've noticed a trend as I've been looking to get back into the field. A number of operators are hiring FF's or coordinators but "requiring" them to have their Dispatch Certificate. I'm assuming it's so they can pay the FF's less and minimize the number of Dispatchers on staff, thus save on the payroll. Anyone else notice this happening or am I imagining things or missing something?

I don't know why they are requiring this. I am a dispatcher and I have also worked as a flight follower and there is a difference. Pilots respect a dispatcher alot more than they respect a FF. Anyone can be a FF. A dispatcher is a special breed

Actually you can make more money at some places as a Flight Follower. Than you can at a domestic airline as a dispatcher. Starting pay wise is comparable to the majors. Reason for the license requirement is mainly due to operations around the world or into some tricky areas.

Also the FAA is looking into requiring 121 Supplemental carriers to have licensed dispatchers.

I worked as a DXer at a small airline and we had a flight follower. When the pilots called the office, 3 separate phones rang. When the two DXers were busy, the FF would try to answer questions as best as possible, including TAFs and weather on the radar. FAA says it's illegal to give this info out unless you're a licensed DXer, so it might be a way to alleviate that problem.
Obviously the FF would never change anything to the release or the DXers plans with the flight.

It's also becoming a safety issue for carriers liability insurance requirements.. they get significant reductions in premiums for maximized safety oversight of their operations, and Squire was right above... the FAA is looking at and advising that their be licensed dispatchers on staff..
This started over 10 yrs ago with cappy down on MCO as an example... They may still FF's, but they want to see a license in the wallet..

Latest resources

Back