Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whatever

Capt_Zman,

So according to your rational, all of the fine men and women at Hawaiian Airlines (ALPA Members), aside from having their “heads in the pipe”, are hurting the aviation industry.

Yeah, you are probably right. The HAL pilots should not have signed their collective bargaining agreement. Those 767 Captains should be making $250,000 a year plus! Hell, while were in La’La Land, lets make it $500,000 a year! Who cares about the fact that the Company is struggling to stay afloat, the pilots can always go to another airline once HAL goes out of business. This is GOOD for the aviation industry, this protects our future, right??

Whatever dude. Hope you make lots and lots of money in your career.

P.S. If you are so concerned about making a fortune, why did you become a pilot?:confused:

402driver,

I see where you are with your goals and I completely agree with you. You aren't saying you want to fly a wide body for free. You are saying you'll demand a pay scale that is equal to your experience level and one that will afford you the lifestyle you want. I totally respect that. Although HAL pilots aren't paid the most in the industry, they are paid a respectable wage; unlike many of the commuters.

I wish you all the luck in the world reaching your goals.

R.F.

"...I don't mean that I am willing to work for peanuts. Certainly, pilots need fair compensation for the work and responsability associated with commercial aviation. However, I'm not going to let the size of my salary dictate where I go in this carrer."

Pay

I want to add a comment about salary. Union salary leveraging and RJs notwithstanding, a major component of salary, in ANY job, is the responsibility that goes with the job.

Not too long ago we had a surgeon who also flies 135 or something post. He argued about the training he went through to cut open people v. the training pilots go through. Talk about working both sides of the street! Somehow, I gathered that pilot training was made light of in comparison to medical training. Well, anyway, no one would doubt that a surgeon has a great responsibility and it takes a great deal of training for years to earn that responsibility. Well, guess what, folks, pilots have a great deal of responsibility as well. A pilot's responsibilities are manifold and, similar to the surgeon's, turn on the issue of safety. Pilots are responsible to their passengers, to other air traffic, to the public at large, and to their companies, especially when operating a multi-million dollar piece of equipment. Pilots should be paid accordingly. I'm not talking about only the widebody or 74 drivers, but all pilots, and particularly so commuter pilots. A 1900 driver has as much responsibility in every way as do the big guys, and, of course, is paid far less.

Lifestyle is nice, and vital, but being paid properly according to responsibility is vital as well. As always, toss another two cents in the cup for me.

Last edited:
402pilot, Island Air did NOT make a profit flying from OGG-ITO and OGG-KOA. We could not fly direct due to Aloha pilot scope clause, so we had to fly to LNY or MKK first to get there. If it takes 2 stops, then people would rather hop in a B737 and fly to HNL, change planes and go to Big Island. April 6 is the last day of the Big Island service. We'll see what happens after the merger... we may be able to go direct from OGG after the merger since Brenneman is taking Hawaiian's contract as a contract for the new airline. If that happens, hopefully you'll have a class soon. As is right now, no hiring is planned this year.

Above the reply text box, there are a series of buttons. The last on the row is "QUOTE". By cutting the bit you want quoted, hitting the QUOTE button, and pasting the text in the quote box, it will format it to provide the quotes.

Just trying out the quotes

Latest resources

Back